Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IGNITION TRANSFORMER

Options
BOB WILLARD
BOB WILLARD Member Posts: 27
I just wanted to get some opinions on what others out there think about the new type transformers used with the Beckett burners..What are the pros and cons.... Thanks so much..

Eric LIB Oceanside NY

Comments

• Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Igniter

I retrofitted my Carlin burner with an igniter,last winter It seems to work very well and will probably cover up any ignition missets with the extremely high voltage output. It messes up nearby AM radios, though
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

the new high voltage ones are great on problem units with outdoor oil tanks- they help with some lighting issues--the older ones when they get weak you can adjust the electrodes for a couple days till you can replace --the new ones either work or they dont -----
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    more bang

The only thing I have seen is that in the older trailer furnaces with the Wayne burner's seem to be noisier. I have found with the Carlin ignitor if you do not install the little lock washer that is supplied the tv and radios in the house get interference. But I do love being able to carry a couple ignitor's and a box of plates and be able to handle most anything out there..:)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    these transformers vs ignitor ....?

weight. less KW expenditure..fairly versatile..and you get to sell a new secondary :)
  • Ed_13
    Ed_13 Member Posts: 164
    Options
    They work or they don't

The thought that SS igniters work or they don't is not correct. I too always thought it was however I recently attended a combined Beckett & Field Training seminar and the topic was discussed in depth.

The class was at the PMACSA (former Pennsylvania Petroleum Association) training facility. The class was for CEU for both my Gold and PPA Masters Tech certifications.

The instructor for the Beckett portion of the seminar was (Jeff Rozgda) from Beckett. I have known Jeff for many years and he is very good. In the past I too was an instructor for the PPA, so I got to know Jeff through the PPA.

Jeff told all that the SS igniters can be “weak” and still operate. Beckett now teaches that the igniter must be tested properly to verify the integrity. Beckett no longer supports the old theory that they work or they don’t.

If you have any question you can confirm this by calling or e-mailing Beckett tech support. If Jeff is on the road teaching, he will get back to you, (he is very good about that) or ask for Jerry.

Regards,

Ed Carey
  • Edward A. Ed Carey
    Options
    Jeff's name

Sorry, I did a cut & paste and the spell check must have got Jeff's name. I guess I must have missed it. It is Jeff Rozga, from Beckett

Regards,

Ed Carey
  • Edward A. Ed Carey
    Options
    Jeff's Rozga's name

Sorry, I did a cut & paste and the spell check must have got Jeff's name. I guess I must have missed it. It is Jeff Rozga, from Beckett

Regards,

Ed Carey
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

you learn something new everyday --i will give him a ring --guess its time to buy the tester----
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Check your grounding!

• Firedragon_4
    Options
    You only need an ohmmeter to

test any ignitor. It's that simple and inexpensive!
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Two things;

the washers help to ground the 'electronics' and put them on interrupted ignition. If you do, a lot of noise goes away and that's true even with a transformer, try it!

I also agree to a point on the 'go, no go' theory, but what's really impressive is hooking an ignitor up to a Variac and watching what happens. Did that all summer in Carlin U's and people were amazed.
This discussion has been closed.