Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Identity crisis again!

Options
DaveC
DaveC Member Posts: 201
Over the past couple of months, my name and E-mail address keeps gettin switched to someone elses here. If I go to reply to a post, I see a different name under "Author" than my own. Today I was Mark Mathys, which is unfamiliar - a few months ago, I was Matt Undy (if I remember correctly). I am not corresponding to these people, and they are not even posting anything here at this time, that I see. I can change it back, but it keeps happening, and wondering why? Anyone experiencing this or know how to stop it? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Rudy
    Rudy Member Posts: 482
    Options
    What I've noticed

Every once and awhile (when I'm responding to a thread), the Author and E-mail defalt to someone else - possibly that's what is going on.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I've experienced

a little different situation this past week.

Everyone who responded to Sox YA YA YA sent me an e'mail cope of their message. This happen to anyone else?

It did not seem to affect the computer at all (fingers crossed).
  • DaveC
    Options
    Yes, another name...

is given by default - but why? Someone could get wrongfully accused of insulting someone, if they didn't notice the switcharoo (specially this week)! ;^o

The E-mail copy is sent if you have the little box that says " notify me by e-mail about all messages posted in this topic" in your post reply checked - that one I know about, and prefer to leave it unchecked.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    If I remember correctly...

The fix is to completely clear you browser cache. Delete ALL cookies and internet history files. The problem comes in having a mixed up cookie(s) that then take someone else's name and posts it with your posts.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Options

• DaveC
    Options
    Is this something I have to do...

on a daily basis, or is there an automatic function available? Aren't "cookies" considered good things, I hear the geeks talk of them with such enthusiasm!
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Options
    Jim, I'm no computer expert, but...

I can tell you that there are many BAD cookies out there. They track your every move and report back to the senders for many bad reasons.

I will assume you use Internet Explorer. If you go to the top left, click on Tools, then Internet Options, then the General tab, you will see places to "Delete Cookies", "Delete Files", and a spot at the bottom to "Clear History" and you can set the number of days to keep history files. I have mine set for 5 days of file storage. I also personally keep track of my cookies using Norton's System Works program. I can tell it which History files and cookies I wnat to keep, such as forums.invision.net (The Wall), and then it is set to clean all other files once a week. I also use a program called Ad-Aware SE and Another called Spyware Doctor to keep the naughty cookies and files out of my computer. Spyware Doctor actually monitors the computer and catches and stops many files before they even get in the computer. Both will do a full computer scan and list all bad files/cookies with the option to delete them. I run these programs two to three times a week. They both always find bad stuff every time. You can download both of these anti spyware programs at www.download.com. I also run my virus scan every night to keep the bugs out.
  • DaveC
    Options
    Thanks, Glenn...

for the detailed suggestions - I'll try all those things.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Options
    You're quite welcome, Jim.

This discussion has been closed.