Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thred sealent

RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
hi dose anyone know of a good thred sealent that will harden like a rock and will be a b***ch to unscrew off
or never get off unless cuting the pipe

this is for 2" black iron pipe for my oil tank fill cap and vent cap



  • Two part

    epoxy. I've seen it used to join copper fittings by "irrigation specialists" and was amazed how well it worked.

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member Posts: 201

    There's lots of choices - #2760 is a high strength threadlocker.
  • sinkdoc 43381
    sinkdoc 43381 Member Posts: 6

  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    umm why?

    You may want to use a regular pipe dope rated for oil. I can understand you don't want it to leak but creating something that can never be taken apart or take's 3 men and a boy to undo could create nightmare's down the road. What will happen if you need to move the tank? I have put in plenty of oil tank's and never had issue's with leak's...JMHO..:)
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I don't believe

    you could ever get a product to lock that tight! I've used Expando, but still, a large enough wrench will unscrew it.

    If it has to be that tight weld it! :)

    hot rod

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Use any pipe dope

    Just be sure to coat the threads with roofing cement!

    More UST's have been condemmed due to pipe leaks rather than tank leaks - than any other "mistake" in that field of endeavor can muster!

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

    EXPANDO was commonly used in older steam lines headers etc.. you will destroy and deform the pipe before it will come apart but all you need is rectorseal #5 or any oil rated sealant and learn how to pipe when you think its as tight as you can get it --go 1/4 turn more
  • Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155

    You got that right. Never seen an expando joint come apart in reusable condition.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Pipe dope

    a few years back I used a pipe dope called "Grrrip", I think it was a Hercules product. Stuff looked like coal tar, real thick, if it was below 50 degrees you couldn't get the brush out of the can! Set up real hard and was a B***h to get apart!
    Very similar to "Permatex form-a-gasket".
    Don't know if is still available.

    Jim Bennett
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

    when all else fails----PERMATEX
  • Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155

    Hercules Makes Grrrrrrrip.

    Loctite #568 is basically the same stuff. Don;t get it on your hands. If you do, for the next 3 days, ev eryone will know it!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Two part epoxy ....And my personal favorites Grip and Permatex

    2 part is the stuff to "Mop"on welds or threads underground however i like using grip over the tank welds and over the threads under ground on the black iron fill and supply pipes i then cover the pipe to 6" aboveground level with wonder tape,then re mop the seal near tank and threads ,and near the pick point welds...i am a lu fanatic :) then again havent had alot of call backs ....
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955

    Used a product called superdope on a sprinkler system, good for fuel too. "hardens to pipe burst strength" Put it on with 14" wrench, remove with 36"

    You do not want to screw up with this stuff. (from experience)
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613

    When you think all else will fail EXPANDO wont. The other posts are right. There IS no other.
  • pete_14
    pete_14 Member Posts: 9
    thread seal

    product called leak lock , sells in small bottle ,blue in color .
This discussion has been closed.