Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas burner surging

TD
TD Member Posts: 2
New installation, 200 K BTU hydronic gas boiler, new gas service and meter, piped with less than 10 ft. of 3/4" iron pipe from meter, which serves only the boiler. I was wondering if anyone would know why the burners surge slightly in a consistant rhythm. I have never seen this happen before on a new installation. The meter also "clicks" in the same rhythm, as does the dial on the meter. Could this be a bad meter or diaphram problem? Any input would be appreciated.....TD

Comments

• Does this

job have a pressure regulator before the gas meter? If so it can be the regulator surging. If that is the case call the gas utility to check it.

Also is the meter sized correctly for the load? What is the total load for the system? If the boiler is 200,000 then the meter size should be a 250 or higher model.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    were it propane i'd say it souunds like a regulator.

being nat gas.it sounds like a supply side issue.did you have a pressure change allowed by the AHJ?or the Gas supplier? if so it may be a fault in that regulator.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    similar issue

Hey wallies,

Similar issue here. Manifold side of the Honeywell gas valve is surging. Same supply pipe to the water heater and the manifold side of the heater is fine.

combustion analysis checks out fine. Any suggestions?
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.