Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mixing valves radiant floor heating

Options
RoosterBoy
RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
hi for radiant floor heating I know you have to run each loop at 300 foot max per loop useing 1/2 inch pex now I will have 1 zone 3 loops do I need a mixing valve for each loop or just one for each zone I add to my system

also is it better to staple the tubing directly under the floor or suspend it and put a reflective insulation under

thanks
Jason

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    loops vs mixing

as long as the medium the tubing is in is the same, 1 mix valve. But if it's staple up and embedded then you would need two different temps.
  • ALH_3
    ALH_3 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Temp Requirements

If you are going to staple up or suspend the tubing you need hot (180F+) water so no mixing valve is required at all. I wouldn't recommend either of these methods. Use an extruded aluminum plate under the floor or gypcrete pour on top of the floor and an outdoor reset control for maximum performance, efficiency, and comfort. You'll eliminate overshooting the thermostat setpoint, increase the output of the floor, and decrease the response time. It will definitely cost more, but it will definitely work correctly. A compromise might be to use the extruded plate and a three-way mixing valve. You only need one mixing valve.

-Andrew
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options

• extruded plates are awesome, but depending on the heatload they may not be necessary.

course it doesn't sound like a heat load is done here ;)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_3
    ALH_3 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Agreed

I agree. Depending on his climate and how he is planning on using the floor the plates may not be necessary. I keep assuming everyone lives in montana.

In a northern climate I would be very hesitant to use the staple up method.

-Andrew

• I should have qualified that further. Lightweight plates might be adequate for lower heatloads.. it's a rare situation that we feel suspended tube or naked staple up is a good choice. If loads are that low I'd opt for ceiling first if possible.. usually.

What is Barba's catchphrase? "It depends"? heh..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Look and Learn

Here are some basic learning documents to help with radiant details.

al
This discussion has been closed.