Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus with Riello problems

Options
Nick W
Nick W Member Posts: 200
Having issues with a Buderus 215-5 with Riello 40 F10 burner. Verified Bederus OEM settings, listed as superceeding riello's settings. Boiler burns slightly smokey, (#1 smoke) and comes in at 88.4% with 12.4% co2 and about 100ppm CO. Add air you say? Ah well it already fails to start 1/2 of the time going into lock out. When it fails, covering 1/2 the air intake allows it to fire 100% of the time. All other settings are verified. Draft, pump press, electrode settings. Too much air to start, too little to burn clean. What to do?
May try Riello's original settings, which will allow less air through the shutter, but more over the draw assy.

Comments

• Joe@buderus
    Joe@buderus Member Posts: 165
    Options

Suggest you set the distance between the electrodes at a sloppy 3/16" (Riello states 4mm).
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Problems

What's the draft on the chimney and over the fire? I have had hard light offs and no starts with F-10's when the draft was high. The burner seems to like a slighty positive (+.01"w.c) pressure to barely negative (<.02" w.c.) to fire into. Check your barometric, maybe it's not able to open all the way. What size flue is it firing into? Oversized? Liner?
  • The Riello line of burners

I have to say 1st that we have nothing but high praise for the Riello F3 , F5 and F15 burners , in the conventional oil heating equipment we use them in . They burn exceptionally well , I have an F5 in my own boiler .

The F10 is another issue . We just installed one in a Peerless ECT5 yesterday , and had the same problem as almost all the other F10s we installed - a wild and somewhat sooty flame . We started with a 1.50 60 deg. , set it to Peerless startup specs . We downfired to 1.35 60 and played with the settings to bring it in line , sort of . I had a serviceman go back today to take a looksie , I'll know by tomorrow what he found .
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    Agree with Steve

Most of the riello's like 0 to+ on the fire.

However I'm interested to know was that a light off Co reading or a steady state reading of CO?

This combination seems to generate a lot of discussion. I service a lot of themn with outtoo much trouble but if I were to sell one it would be with Carlin.

Also call Buderus for latest spec if you haven't already done so

Regards

Robert

ME
  • Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    Options
    buderus/riello

Had buderus out yesterday. Let's see if I can answer everyone's questions.
    I'm getting a -.02 to -.03 at the breach before the barometric, and a +.02 at the tap to the chamber, just as in the specs. The CO was a steady state reading, which we have gotten down to about 55ppm. It still fail on light-off unless you cover the air intake at start-up. Reset the electrodes numerous times. At the end of the day, Steve from buderus said he'd need to send out his "burner guy". Last look, the unit hadn't failed again (we'll see), but is starting hard, and burning a lousy looking flame at 88.4%, 11.0% CO2, 325 Stack, -.02 breach, +.02 o/f, and 55ppm CO. Pulling the door reveals oil residue on the botttom of the chamber (poss from the failed light offs) and some sooting already.
    I agree with the riello's track record. It's a stange animal, but it seems once they're in the never go down. This one is a little quirky. I'm gonna have the Rep break it down to make sure it was shipped with the right components, such as the right end cone, etc. I can't tell, since theres no markings like on the Becketts.
    I'll keep you all informed.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.