Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Heat Upstairs

Options
I have a Reznor gas boiler and there is no heat upstairs. The little guide I got from the house inspection says to add water if the PSI is less than 10-12. Well I have 15 PSI so I don't know if that's a good idea. I have bled all the radiators upstairs - nothing. I can feel the pipes coming out from the boiler for upstairs are cold, but the valves on each seem to be open. The temperature on the boiler seems low though now at 90 degrees, when last night it was 150 degrees. PLease help! Thank you so much!!! Michael

Comments

• Mellow_2
    Mellow_2 Member Posts: 204
    Options
    Michael

I do not have enough info. Do you have heat downstairs? (you said no heat upstairs). If you have heat downstairs then upstairs is on its own pipe. Do you have a thermostat upstairs? If you do, it must have a valve or pump on the 2nd floor pipe.........this could be the problem......The system at 12 to 15psi should be OK and if you get water out of the vents on the 2nd floor that part should be OK. Can you send a picture or drawing of the pipes off the boiler? This might help.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    No Heat

Possible circulator not running, zone valve or solenoid not opening, flow valve stuck, system airbound,etc. If it is baseboard convectors, is the airspace beneath the convector unrestricted? Is the boiler firing OK? Downstairs is fine I take it.Is the thermostat set properly and is it calibrated OK? Try turning stat all the way up temporarily to see if that helps. Could be in control system as well as water system.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Air Lock?

• Chuckles_2
    Chuckles_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options

How high is upstairs? If you have three floors, 15psi may not quite do it. If you have six floors, it won't do it.

If you have a converted gravity system (big pipes), maybe you don't have a big enough circulator.
This discussion has been closed.