Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Collectors

Options
How about at ANY price???

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Anyone know of a reasonably priced collector that won't look disgusting on an historic home? Unfortunately the front of my house faces South. House too tall (and a lot of slope in the grade to boot) to mount something away from the house in the back. Roof has 10-12 slope so that should help significantly.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    What kind of roof does it have now?

You could always shingle with Unisolar shingles and no one would be wiser for it. That is, until they see your electrical meter running backwards.

As for solar solutions, none of them qualify as unobtrusive, AFIAK. We're going with the Thermax system since our roof space is limited and we also have historic issues to deal with. However, our array would be on the rear of the building, easing some of the issues.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    define disgusting!

Personally I like to mount panels to the slope of the roof. I feel the racks are a big part of the "disgusting" look. I'd rather take some efficiency hit than install something that looks like it dropped from a spaceship :)

I custom build sizes from damaged collector parts. I always have a line on used panels. Sold a bunch to Carl, that hangs here, for $35 each (scratch and dents)

I'm modifing this panel to fit on the wood burning boiler enclosure for the up coming FarmFest.

Basically T-drilled some new headers and shrunk down the aluminum frame. Not a huge money maker but fun to tinker with. I should have built the enclosure to the solar panel size :)

I did learn, yerterday, that you can't cut tempered glass, even with a diamond wheel!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Cutting Tempered Glass and Solar Panels

To cut the glass: Score as normal with a regular glass cutter. Apply lighter fluid (naptha) along the score. Light and let burn out. Snap over a sharp corner. Was surprised myself when I saw someone do this...

(Not sure if that works for all forms of tempered/safety glass. What I saw cut was for entrance door in my store.)

Flat on the roof is the only way I'd consider. 38° angle so at least it's within reason. Gotta' do some research into the "V" controls. That idea of a solar boost with continuous proportional feedback has me staring at the ceiling again...
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Are Unisolar the ones that you apply along with asphalt shingles? If so, wasn't too impressed. Low efficiency (even for PV), high cost, repair difficulty and non-permanent materials.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Not the most ugliest solar installation I've seen, but it's not winning any beauty contest either. Even without the stands--on a the front of a Colonial Revival with a light roof??? (No way I'll EVER install a dark roof with our typical summers!)
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Eh, don't shoot the messenger...

... you wanted something invisible... and the Unisolar shingles are about as close to that as it gets. Now you want efficient, cost-effective too? ;-)

Have you considered using the thermax tubes as a arbor roof? They are very pretty to behold from below, yet let light through. Could perhaps be an option...
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Not shooting you--I should have said fluid-based, not PV.

Any link (or photos) of the Thermax? Can't seem to find on the web.

Unfortunately the only good places on my lot to collect winter sun are the front (south) face of the roof, the shallow front yard, and the vegetable garden.

• Brad_9
    Brad_9 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thermomax

Try www.thermomax.co.uk/ or www.solarthermal.com

Very similar to Viessmann Vitosol300 also.
  • Carl PE
    Carl PE Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye..

of the guy who gets the utility bill.

My racks look "like they fell off a spaceship", but I don't mind at all. My roof is 2/12, so I didn't have much choice. Also, they're in the back and not visible from the street.

Anyway, sounds like you should be ok with mounting them to the slope. SEMO is probably around 37º latitude, and your roof is ~40º, so you're within a few degrees even without the racks. 46-50º would be better, but 40 is close enough.

Whatever collectors you get.. the frames and hardware can be painted any color you like. There's just those big rectangles of black glass, and you're going to have that no matter what brand you get.

They're all "equally disgusting".

my 2¢.
  • David Woycio
    David Woycio Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Flat roof solar install

Here's a 2 - 12 pitch drain-back water system. Big time covenants in this neighborhood. Provides heat for the radiant and dhw.
  • David Woycio
    David Woycio Member Posts: 107
    Options

Metro Man
This discussion has been closed.