Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Freeze Protection

Options
ML
ML Member Posts: 7
I have several apartments with a variety of HW boilers. Last year one of my tenants ran out of oil and waited a couple of days to get some oil. The repair bill for the freeze-up was huge. In my own home the Buderus/Ecomatic has freeze protection in case the boiler fails to light off. I would like to add this feature to my rental units. Anyone have any suggestions? What I would like is for the pumps to come on and a alarm to sound if the boiler temp falls below a set value.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Why didn't the pumps run in the apartment?

If they were running then they shouldn't have frozen. If the tenant shut the system down so nothing ran, then there is no protection for that.

David
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Freeze Protection

Mike, Take a look at www.noblecompany.com, click on products, then click on Noburst. If you don't find your answer, call me. 800-678-6625 Ext. 108

Drew
  • Mellow_2
    Mellow_2 Member Posts: 204
    Options
    simple solution

is a night watchman. This plugs in to 115 volt plug and has a plug on it. You set the dial on it and when it drops below the setting it powers the plug. You can plug lamps or anything 115 volt in it and it will have power if it is too cold inside. I say plug outside lights into it. Drive by and see you have no problems. good luck
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Winter Watchman

Yeah if you have power and if someone doesn't unplug it. You have to take the human factor out of your solution. Anti freeze the system. This however will not protect the domestic water pipes. Time for a new tenant.
This discussion has been closed.