Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin, what problems are you seeing now

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Just starting a thread to see what all of us out here are seeing with Munchkins, ie service issues, part failures etc. I have 5 installed with the oldest being about 20 months old. None of them have had a failure of any type. Checked the oldest one after 14 mos for any sign of build up, no by product on gas side of heat x. Flame rod looks good, cycling great.

Comments

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    munchkins

We've installed over 200 and we aren't seeing any problems. Just pulled one apart that has run for 3 seasons and it looked inside like the day it was installed. I am still impressed. My customers are very happy with their very efficient affordable boiler.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
  • Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Availability

Availability is the only issue. Speaks volumes for the product. I sell the unit as the Peerless Pinnacle. Still waiting for more to come in.

Regards,

PR
  • Tom Simensen
    Tom Simensen Member Posts: 74
    Options
    an occaisional F 9 ....

other than a couple flame rod calls. I have several dozen installed with no problems at all.

Tom
  • Pat_12
    Pat_12 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    peerless and outdoor reset

Very happy with my pinnacle. The only frustaration is I am still waiting for outdoor reset. When we installed system, was assured by both Peerless and Tekmar that they would have a reset by spring 2004. Still waiting. Has anyone heard any new news on this. The control is supposed to be a Tekmar 263.
  • Jay_12
    Jay_12 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    tekmar 263 with Peerless Pinnacle

The tekmar Boiler Control 263 is available now. It can be used in combination with the Peerless Pinnacle with the P125 control board.

If you have any further questions, please contact me. 1-250-545-7749 www.tekmarcontrols.com

Jay
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Problems

Condensate traps plugging and flooding the combustion chamber with water. Had this on two of the early installs that we did. (now 2 years old) In both cases, they did not lock out until the amount of condensate in the combustion chamber had reach the level where it could saturate and destroy the fibre refractory. We removed the HX and re-routed the condensate line so it could be easily cleaned and monitored in both cases. Neither were considered warranty situations by HTP so we ate the cost of this labor.
  • Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Jay,

I would love to get the PDF sheets on this new 263. I was not able to locate it on the web-site. Any chance you could email it to me?

Regards,

PR
  • Cliff Brady
    Cliff Brady Member Posts: 149
    Options
    It is there under downloadable literature.

http://tekmarcontrols.com/acrobat/d263.pdf
  • Jay_12
    Options
    Data and Application Brochures

I have had a few inquires, so here's some more information.

Here are the paths for the Data Brochure and the Application brochure for the tekmar Boiler Control 263:

www.tekmarcontrols.com/acrobat/d263.pdf

www.tekmarcontrols.com/acrobat/a263.pdf

The Boiler Control 263 can operate two on/off stages OR it can operate a single modulating boiler via a 4-20 mA or 0-10 Vdc signal. It provides outdoor reset and DHW water logic. The 263 is available as of Sept 1, 2004.

Jay www.tekmarcontrols.com 1-250-545-7749
  • heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Work with Munchkin?

Jay, will that work with a Munchkin too? If so, which boards?
  • Jay_12
    Options
    tekmar 263

The Boiler Control 263 provides a 4-20 mA or a 0-10Vdc signal to modulate a modulating boiler.

Please contact Heat Transfer Products to see if the Munchkin supports this.

Jay
  • Cliff Brady
    Options
    Just a thought

The Tekmar 263/265 can operate 0-5 volt modulating equipment with a 250 ohm resistor at the contacts. The Pinnacle setpoint variable resistor attenuates a 0-5 volt signal. If you change the setpoint while the boiler is running the boiler will modulate accordingly.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    just an 09

on one, so cleaning the flame rod is a standard part of yearly service. Takes all of about 30 seconds since they're front-loading and it’s very easy to get to the screws. Since we install ours on legs, they're also at a nice level that doesn't require bending over or being a contortionist - thanks HTP.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John MacGregor
    John MacGregor Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Munchkin

We must be doing something wrong to have so many problems. Although, the mfr's rep hasn't found any problems with our installations( except the one our apprentice put in for his brother with no p/s piping). Do any of you use antifreeze in your systems? An inordinate number of our problems are the pressure switches leaking.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    rarely

do we use freeze protectant, but we do have a few out there that have it.

Never had a pressure switch leak though.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Pressure switch?

Boiler pressure or burner pressure? You leaking air or water?
  • Chuck Shaw_2
    Chuck Shaw_2 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Tekmar/Munchkin Interface

We do have an interface that will accecpt the 0-10 volt input(contact your local supplier for price and avaibility). In fact, In about an hour I will be sitting down with Hydronics Mike Miller from Tekmar, to talk about this, as well as to catch up with a friend.

Chuck Shaw
    Technical Support Dept
    Heat Transfer Products
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Oh very nice

You're there in Califonia having a grand old time.

I have to talk to Dave about this!!!!!

Have a good night Chuck!

Thanks for all that you do!

Mark H

• John MacGregor
    John MacGregor Member Posts: 41
    Options

We are having water leaks around and through the water pressure switch, as I understand it.
  • Cliff Brady
    Options
    Will the Pinnacle P125 Board

Chuck,

Will the Pinnacle P125 Board retrofit on existing Pinnacle boilers with the old board?
  • Jay_12
    Options
    Changing the setpoint

Hello Cliff,

The tekmar 265/263 controls are intended to change the firing rate of the boiler via the 4-20 mA or 0-10 V analog signal.

Do not use the 0-10 V analog signal to change the setpoint. The controls were not intended to change the boilers setpoint and the boiler will not operate correctly.

If you want to discuss why this cannot be done, please contact me.

Jay www.tekmarcontrols.com 1-250-545-7749
  • Chuck Shaw_2
    Chuck Shaw_2 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I am not sure

Cliff,

I am not sure, and dont want to give you mis-information. So my first thought is yes as I cant see a reason why it wouldnt.

Chuck
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    What kind of flux...

do your guys use? Are they flushing the system during startup with a neutralizer/cleaner compound?

I've had problems with similar pressure switches failing with glycol in the system, but have only had one (on someone elses install) cause a problem, and it was fixed with a quick tap from a screw driver.

The T-50 in my home continues to purr along, saving energy and keeping the missus warm, comfy and happy!

ME

• Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Options
    F-16

Responded to a no heat call today. Went out and adjusted the set screw on the air switch. Seemed to do the trick. We'll see.
    SRD
  • beeper
    beeper Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Sweet music to me ears

• Cheeze-Tech
    Cheeze-Tech Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Munchkins on LP

Any of you guys have many installed for LP? Anything to note relating to the LP vs Nat?
This discussion has been closed.