Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sola Roll Radiant rubber tubing scale buildup

Anyone know about this rubber tubing? It was installed in a slab floor for a house in upstate N.Y. 30 plus years ago. A wood fired boiler supplied the heat. The tubing coming off the mainfold (Bio Systems Inc.) and going into the slab is stiff until you flex it. You hear cracking sounds like possibly
scale build up on the inside of the tubing breaking. The tubing is more flexable after you do this. I don't think I can take the tubing off the mainfold. It appears to have somekind of a special attaching method that does not come apart. This is like 3/8" OD tubing, I might be able to splice it. I was hoping someone out there has worked with this stuff and can give some insite.
THANKS

Comments

• Sola Roll Radiant Rubber Tubing ( BSI Radiant Roll)

Anyone know about this rubber tubing? It was installed in a slab floor for a house in upstate N.Y. 30 plus years ago. A wood fired boiler supplied the heat. The tubing coming off the mainfold (Bio Systems Inc.) and going into the slab is stiff until you flex it. You hear cracking sounds like possibly
    scale build up on the inside of the tubing breaking. The tubing is more flexable after you do this. I don't think I can take the tubing off the mainfold. It appears to have somekind of a special attaching method that does not come apart. This is like 3/8" OD tubing, I might be able to splice it. I was hoping someone out there has worked with this stuff and can give some insite About the possible lime buildup and what if anthing to do about it. The home owner wants to put limeaway in it to disolve the stuff. I am afraid he may plug the tubing.
    Thanks
    Alan
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I have worked the stuff over

The manifolds are a bugger to undo and redo. You can get 5/16 barbed connectors and squeeze clamps at auto parts places to repair and recouple. See the attachment below.

I generally cut back from the manifold just enough to recouple.

If in fact you have a coating of lime I'd bet 100 bucks you have a small leak and a continous water make up issue. it's a slow tedious job but sometimes you need to remove every line and pressure test them to find the leaker. 125#s of air will generally blow out any crud. Becareful and wear safety glasses.

You may find some plugged beyond repair, and have to abandon a few loops. It happens.

Often times they just plain sludge up. It is a non barrier tube and inhales O2 like crazy. This eventually disolves ferrous components and deposits the sludge in the small diameter tube.

You may get to a point where plugged or leaking loops make the salvage impossible. Check the condition of the circ pump volutes to see how badly they are corroded. Have a plan B to fall back on. Nothing lasts forever. Even EPDM :)

Then again contractors tell me they see 20 year old solar roll systems working just fine. No plugged, leaking disolving problems. Go figure.

I'll bet they have magnets on them :) I've got them on my home.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • David Woycio
    David Woycio Member Posts: 107
    solar roll

Hot rod is right on the money. Maybe ask the Rhomar boys what they think. I used to see miles of the stuff used as solar collectors. My hands still hurt from pushing that # !**&# tubing onto the barbed connectors. If you get it cleaned out think about installing a heat exchanger between the boiler and the radiant. Charge the tubing with glycol and check every season.
This discussion has been closed.