Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inspector ???? (SE)

S Ebels
S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
Installed a Vitodens last week up in Charlevoix County, Mich. The local (county) inspector can and red tagged the job due to no certification number left on the RPZ backflow preventer. We've installed dozens of these in jurisdictions all over the state and never had this question. I can't find anything about it in the residential plumbing or mechanical code books. Anyone here ever have an inspector ask for a certification #?

Comments

• Blackoakbob
    Blackoakbob Member Posts: 252
    certified/ licensed

> Installed a Vitodens last week up in Charlevoix

> County, Mich. The local (county) inspector can

> and red tagged the job due to no certification

> number left on the RPZ backflow preventer. We've

> installed dozens of these in jurisdictions all

> over the state and never had this question. I

> can't find anything about it in the residential

> plumbing or mechanical code books. Anyone here

> ever have an inspector ask for a certification #?

• Blackoakbob
    Blackoakbob Member Posts: 252
    certified/ licensed

Here, a couple of states west of you only a certified tech. can test an RPZ and only test it. While a licensed master plumber may install, test and rebuild them. There is a grey area about the location it is installed at...if the local utility has a water protection program in effect that requires the annual test and inspection.
    An interesting problem. I would hire an a certified tester to test it for a nominal fee or if it is over 5 years old have the building owner replace it. Catch 22
    Regards,
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    BFP??

Is this a regional thing or jurisdictional? What I mean is, are you required to obtain additional certification from the state for installation? Or are you attesting to its proper operation? In NJ we have separate BFP certification for usually large RPZ's..I'm confused..Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I think

the local owner or operator of the water system can impose rules above the code requirements.

I used to belong to the Rual Water Association as a part time watermaster and this question came up often.

In some areas around here a Watts 9D passes, other areas require a RPZ type on all boilers.

I always though the degree of hazard of the fluid being protected had most to do with the devise selected. Boiler water being a low hazard unless chemicals were added. Used to be that way under the UPC.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Inspector??

Was he asking for (A) certification # or (Your) certification #??..Robert O'Connor/NJ
This discussion has been closed.