Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two pipe oil from top of fuel tank

Options
Good morning, This morning I'm going to convert a one pipe to a two pipe fuel set up on a Beckett cmf po set up. Tank is located in the basement burner located on first floor. About 7-8 ft lift, and 10 - 15 ft run. I'm going to install the lines into the top of the tank through a duplex bushing. Currently unit is set up one pipe from bottom of tank no filter, according to home owner, lots of problems , priming, clogged nozzles etc. Any thoughts on my plan of attack here?

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    2 pipe top take off

i prefer to use a scully snorkle gauge that way oil comes off from top 2 inches of oil

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    It might be easier

to simply let the tank run dry and clean it.

Cleaning might involve putting 5 gallons of kerosene in and circulating the slop with a "pony" pump through a 5-gallon pail filled with filter media and getting all the junk out. Blow the existing fuel line with compressed air and or carb cleaner or acetone might assure no lingering carbon ring or sludge contamination?

After dumping the slop and cleaning the bottom, add a good fuel treatment and have the tank filled with clean oil.

A lot cheaper than re-piping the world and the customer should be okay for another 20 years. Wouldn't hurt to add a treatment on each fill for a while to clean up any lingering sludge that may have been missed.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • pump, dump and clean

If you use a snorkel to avoid the sludge you only allow more bateria growth and more sludge.

Transfer the oil through a filter to drums, clean the tank, pump the oil back in and put in a good biocide.

Two pipe system may not solve your existing proble, and why pump 20000 (yes I said twenty thousand) gallons of oil to deliver 800?

wheels
  • Yes , why pump much more oil

than the burner would ever need with 2 pipe ? We like to use the Tigerloop in a lift situation . All the benefits of 2 pipe , while using one line , and moving only enough oil to burn .

A good oil treatment will clean a crappy tank without filtation , it worked at my own home . I used Sid Harvey's STR-2 before each fillup and it broke up the 3 decades of spooge in the tank .
This discussion has been closed.