Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water hammering

Bruce Rice
Bruce Rice Member Posts: 2
i have a peerless hot water boiler with 4 loop zones and have had trouble with water hammering when the water is flowing though the zones. i have tried to bleed the system at various points with little success and had better success with putting hydronic cleaner formula 5 with silicone in the system. Do you have some advise for me? my boiler is in the basement and of course all the zones are upstairs which makes bleeding the system quite difficult. i've heard there is a product called an air scoop--do you have any information on this one? thanks brice

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Bruce...

Is the pump on the supply or return? Where are the zone valves, supply or return? What kind of zone valves are they? Did this always happen? An air scoop is OK but a Spirovent is better. It sounds like the zone valves, and their placement/orientation with the pump and not the air scoop but having one will help with unwanted air....If it is air thats causing the banging it may be the water flashing (turning to steam) so you might want to turn the aquastat temp down.. Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Bruce Rice
    Bruce Rice Member Posts: 2
    water hammering

Robert, thank you for your help.
    There are actually 4 pumps - one for each zone and they are situated on the supply side. There are really no zone values... (manual) they stay on... when the thermostat calls for heat, the pumps are engaged. The system is like 30 years old. Most of the hammering is in one zone. My idea now is put a 3/4" copper tube on the return side of worst zone with a bleed valve near the ceiling in hopes to get some of the air out. Acutally it may not be air that is the real problem???!?! Can you tell me more about a Spirovent?
    Thanks.
  • Chris_7
    Chris_7 Member Posts: 5

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Bruce...

A Spirovent is a very effective air elemination device. If you install one on the supply, before the pumps and install an extrol tank to its bottom tapping and connect your makeup water connection between the spirovent and the tank, you have now made a pumping away modual. By installing a valve and drain set up on the return you can now force bleed your ill preforming zone of unwanted air. Check the bar to the left and click on books & more, there you will find a book called "Pumping Away" this will be all the info your ever gonna need about your air problem and solutions to your piping woes..Good luck!...Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    flow chk valves

are there flow chk valves on each zone that hammering sounds like a stuck flow chk .Do you know if your system is a series loop or are some of the zones large and have a split supply and return if so you may have closed balancing valves or the flappers on the purge vales are closeed .What kind of convectors do you have baseboard or rads peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.