Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Concorde-SST

Options
Ken_8
Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
Last Saturday Noel, Lisa, SJ,MB and I went to NYC to see the Intrepid and the attendent museum.

They snagged one of the remaining Concorde SST's and we got the tour.

We were amazed at how small that thing was. Here's what the cockpit looked like. We had a great day.

Unfortunately, the boiler room of the Intrepid was closed due to asbestos "issues" We did see the 1000 pound steam piping header that fed the launch catapult. We thought the manifold was around 40" with multiple risers leading up to the launch deck.

Very impressive.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=68&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    Ken..

Cool!...Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Black Bird

Ken is the SR-71 still there??
  • I was there in June

We had some time to kill before we went on a cruise to nowhere . Was a Japanese Coast guard ship still docked next to the Intrepid ?

The Concorde was also there , but not open to the public yet . Did you tour the submarine ? The wait was 45 minutes , so we missed it .

I was also curious to see the boiler room , but they told us the mess hall level was the lowest we could go . I hope they open the whole ship up one day .

Oh yeah , don't touch the helm on the Intrepid - I thought the guy was gonna toss me off the ship when I did .
  • Ken_8
    Options
    It was there

Unfortunately, the picture I took of it was so backlit I forgot to open the lens up and it became a "delete" shot.

Cool looking thing on the extreme foredeck.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Options
    Ron,

There was no Japanese ship apparent, but a funky looking three-masted "junk" was one birth away - looking very much like a circus paint par-tay type boat.

The sub tour was the part Noel liked best. I loved it as well. It's a bit rough getting a 61 year old 6 foot five inche frame through the hatchways, but I managed. Here's two pics of the "Growler" sub.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    The Concorde

made an unscheduled stop in Bermuda years ago while Linda and I were there. We made a special trip just to see it and got to see the take off.

It was just amazing to see this "bird" take off. Thanks for bringing back a long, lost memory, Ken.

As for the sub, that is quite a chilling picture even though that baby isn't armed. The kids and I have toured the small sub in Portsmouth but that's a trainer and nothing like those from the Cold War period.
  • Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Great shot inside the cockpit of the SST

> Last Saturday Noel, Lisa, SJ,MB and I went to NYC

> to see the Intrepid and the attendent

> museum.

>

> They snagged one of the remaining

> Concorde SST's and we got the tour.

>

> We were

> amazed at how small that thing was. Here's what

> the cockpit looked like. We had a great

> day.

>

> Unfortunately, the boiler room of the

> Intrepid was closed due to asbestos "issues" We

> did see the 1000 pound steam piping header that

> fed the launch catapult. We thought the manifold

> was around 40" with multiple risers leading up to

> the launch deck.

>

> Very impressive.

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 68&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• rb_5
    rb_5 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Intrepid

Here ya go...great place to hang out...I understand you can book it for functions...Dan - Wetstock location????
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    grey ships

In Fall River Mass is Battelship cove. They Have The Iowa class USS Massachussets. huge WW2 think along with a sub and some other stuff.
  • PJO_5
    PJO_5 Member Posts: 199
    Options
    SR-71

Now you're bringing back memories...

The greatest thing ever to have wings attached to it that was built by man IMHO. Nothing but two huge engines, cameras, two pilots and that beautiful black covering...a huge military plane with nary a gun.

My father was a pilot in the Army, and we lived in Okinawa for three years during Vietnam...there where two Blackbirds stationed there that used to visit the Viet Cong with regularity. You had to look up the moment you heard the sonic boom just to get a glimpse if it when it was at full altitude and speed...it would be almost fully across the sky by then.

We were riding by the hangar one evening, and my Dad yelled for all of us to look to the right...there was a third "Habu" (as the natives called it) rolling by the other two. At the time, there were only five in the world. Apparently, there was a visit for some mechanical work by one from the U.S. "Take a good look, because you will never see three of them together again..." He was right. The sun setting behind that scene is forever etched in my memory.

Awesome plane...designed in the 50's, built in the early sixties. The original stealth aircraft that still holds all the major speed records for manned atmospheric flight - at least the ones we know about.

It was shot at hundreds of times with missles and whatever else - never even changed course let alone got hit. The only thing that ended it's usefulness was the perfection of the satellite. Now NASA owns a couple, but they rarely see the upper atmosphere where they belong.

I have a picture in my office of one up close as it is re-fueling. I spent some time in KC-135 planes myself. Anybody ever see what the pilots wear? Space suits...

"As close to God as you can get in a plane"

Sigh....guess I better go there to pay my "last respects".

Okay, I'll go back to work now. :-)

Take Care, PJO
This discussion has been closed.