Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Every now and then..........hb

Options
Chris_31
Chris_31 Member Posts: 19
great........but am surprized that you didn't use plates on this one?!

Most of the GC's I worked for always wanted the best for theselves, but when it came to the HO's luxury, they ALWAYS wanted the cheapest price they could get. I never understood that logic.

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    you get one of those elephants............

pushed over the top of the hill. This project is one of those cases. The project is for a local builder in his own new home. I have been trying for 10 years to get Paul to hire me on a sub bases. As always, his normal subs were far less money than I (as if it comes out of his pocket). A few years ago, I bailed him out of one of the radiant jobs his other sub did for his client. It took some repiping and control work to the tune of $5K (out of his pocket) to make this system work adequately. I thought, great, now he knows and he'll start to use us...... Not.

Then a couple of years ago we were on the same project. He was the builder and I was the owner's radiant guy of choice. Job went smoothly, kept Paul (the builder) happy and, again, I thought, maybe now he will hire us...... Not.

Well, since we have this quasi-history now, when Paul goes to build his own home, he actually hired us over his normal subs. I designed the system and informed him of the pricing. The normal deer in the headlight look followed (g). Paul tells me that his normal sub would do all of the radiant PLUS the HVAC side for less than my radiant price. Soooooooo....... how is that working out for you, Paul? Silence, then he pulled out his checkbook and wrote me out the retainer check!

We just started this Vitodens today. I priced another small $12K prject for him last week. Anyone want to lay odds.........

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• The local builder sees this kind of work

from you , and still brings back the lowballers for his clients ? Amazing .

Speaking of amazing , the job is exactly that . Where do you buy the diamond plate , and how did you mount it to the wall ? I'm redoing my boiler room , such as it is under the stairs , and want to mount all my new hardware on the wall , and the plate will make the dark area shine .

We just started a 5 zone Buderus and I will be mounting the hardware on the wall . I just wish we could make it look like your work Heatboy .
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Incredible!!!

That is absolutely beautiful work!!!
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Still

able to talk after getting hit with that meat hook. Wham! I love it! At least he didn't start calling "S h a n e come back s h a n e"!
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Floor Warming, Chris.

The primary heat source for the upper floors is hydro-air, which I neglected to mention. Sure, I would do suspended if for floor warming only. Everyone knows my views on plateless systems. John Barba makes some very legitimate points in his article (I saw before it was published). Do the math. My point, if there is one, is that plateless stuff has no place in MY business except for floor tempering.

I have tried so hard to build a relationship with Paul (the builder) simply because, aside from the fact that he has that builder's gene, he is one of the nicest gentlemen I know. It will benefit both our businesses long term if we can work together often.

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    whats incredible is

is that HEATBOY did'nt use plates !!!

Is that a really poor transfer of heat ??

One photo just dos'nt match the other.

XOXOXO

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
This discussion has been closed.