Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GEO CORROSION

George_10
George_10 Member Posts: 580
I have posed your question to Dwight and will let you know

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Alcohol/water based corrosion problems

Has anyone else experienced corrosion problems with the standard alcohol/water mix for the loop field, and is there a corrosion inhibitor that is compatable with the geo cocktail?

I realize that the cocktail mix is working in a non barier environment, but thought that the low temperature of operation would negate any substantial infusions of oxygen into the loop field.

Rhomar? Comments or experience?

TIA!

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark   Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 49
    Now THATS service...

Thanks George.

ME
  • George_10
    Mark

We know we have no problem with glycol, but with alcohol I am waiting for an answer. Also I assume you are talking about corrosion from the insde out and not outside in.

The one we can treat, but the other is up to the elements and the pH of the soil.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Correct...

inside out. Rusting cast iron pumps and other ferrous components. Thanks George.

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    corrosion in pumps

Mark,

We have done geo-thermal HP systems for years and have had different situations with rusting. When we first started with them, propylene glycol was the only anti-freeze that we used. The early seminars from Okla. State University, where geo-thermal equipment was being pioneered, experimented with several types of anti-freeze. I remembered some sort of brine solution as one of them, but never used it.

We have systems that have propylene glycol in them that are still running with the original pumps. When we started installing WaterFurnace, the recommended anti-freeze was methanol. We used this as directed (it was also much less expensive to buy) and usually within a couple of years, we started seeing pumps leaking. We found the same things on units that were installed by others.

Most of the pumps used in our area are Grundfos, but the problem was not limited to that particular brand.

We finally started installing auto air vents and auto make-up water line on these systems and the problems lessened. I want to add that many of the systems were horizontal in lieu of vertical wells. We tend to have more physical space to work with for the heat exchanger and a backhoe is cheaper than a well driller.

We now use propylene glycol in systems that are water-based now, although most of our systems are now direct exchange units by ECR. These systems do away with the PB piping, pumps, anti-freeze, and rusting.

TA
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Thank YOU Tom...

for bringing it to my attention. Being somewhat of a newby to this GEO business, it causes me concern for my customers.

Also, what quality of water were you using for the cocktail mix? I'm thinking that if you went in with a reltively high pH water, corrosion would be limnited versus going in with an acidic water.

Thanks again,

ME

• George_10
    Geo treatment.

Mark

Mark the answer is as follows. There is no difference as far as our products are concerned whether it is glycol or alcohol.

Our treatment product Pro-Tek 922 will reduce the corrosion to a minimum, although it can never be 100% eliminated. I am assuming two facts. This is a closed loop system and new water/oxygen is not being added continuously.

If there is water being added, then we can deal with that also by treating the additional water by the amount of the flow, automatically.

• Mark Eatherton1
    George...

ALthough the system IS a closed loop system by design with no make up connected, it uses PE plastic tubing whihc has n0o oxygen barrier. THe loop operates at very low temperatures, but nonetheless, it's still non barrier tubing. WIll your product still do the trick?

ME

• George_10
    Mark

Pro-Tek 922 will treat all of the medals in the system that come in contact with the system fluid. This treatment product also has an ozygen scavenger in it. This will combine with any new oxygen being added to the system. Of course over time, the scavenger will be used up, so the treatment level should be monitored at least once a year.

This can be done through a test kit we offer or sending us a flush sample so we can test it. If the treatment level is lower than needed, a smaller amount will be added to bring it up to the correct level.

The bottom line is this. Your corrosion problem should be brought under control. Our two products the cleaner (Hydro-Solv 9100) and the treatment (Pro-Tek 922) do just what we say they will do when used as we suggest.
  • George_10
    V S Kits volume sizing kits

We have designed ths kit to be used in a closed loop system.

You just follow the instructions in the kit and mail back samples. We test it and give you the volume size. You pay for the first kit and when ordering the product, we send a replacement for free.

It is simple and it works. Give me a call and we will discuss both of your situations. 800-543-5975
  • jerry scharf_2
    jerry scharf_2 Member Posts: 414
    I remember the discussion

George,

But I don't remember you ever saying how you folks are doing the test. The consensus of how we would do it was some sort of titration then dilution measure after the system was run with all the zone valves open.

Care to share how you are doing the test?

thanks,
    jerry
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Corrosion

Mark, We have not had any problems to date. We use commercially available mixes. (Pre-mixes)
This discussion has been closed.