Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect water heater or not? peerless boiler.

Options
Joe.G
Joe.G Member Posts: 213
I am going to be getting a new peerless boiler installed, I was wondering if I should go indirect or not for my hot water or get the coil in the boiler for my hot water? I do not want to run out, I want to be able to runt eh hot water for full blast for hours at a time and not run out like I can do with my coil in tank 1947 york boiler. Thanks a lot

Comments

• Floyd_5
    Floyd_5 Member Posts: 418
    Options
    Don't mean to be a wise ****....

> I am going to be getting a new peerless boiler

> installed, I was wondering if I should go

> indirect or not for my hot water or get the coil

> in the boiler for my hot water? I do not want to

> run out, I want to be able to runt eh hot water

> for full blast for hours at a time and not run

> out like I can do with my coil in tank 1947 york

> boiler. Thanks a lot

• tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Had Coil

I had a Peerless oil fired w/ a coil and NEVER ran out ever. Switched to Weil McClain gas w/ a Weil/Mc. indirect Gold Tank. More uniform and neverending supply of hot H2O. Less $$$ to operate as well. More $$$ to buy and install but worth it. My gas bill is $12.00 this month.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    tank

It should be very tuff to run out a properly sized indirect tank. an indirect tank will be much more eff than a tankless boiler which is hanging out at 200f all day just in case you need hot water. The tank is the way to go.
  • Tommy , where do you live ?

Either gas is cheap or you like to take cold showers ? At $12 a month even in the summer , an oiler like me would consider the switch .

I have a Peerless with a coil also , and like you , I never run out of hot water , but the fluctuation gets annoying . Gonna put in a Plus 30 and cold start the system and see what kinda savings I have over the heating season .
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    paradise

On the beach in NJ.This months bill was $12.00. Last months was $13.00 and change. HOWEVER, last JAN. during some winter temps. it was $382.00 to heat 5 zones and Plus 40 tank. I almost went through the roof. On average though, winter months are around $150.00-$200.00/month.Around the same I was spending B4 I tore out the oil. The ONLY reason I took the oil out is I took my chimney down and didnt want to direct vent oil into my driveway( or anywhere else for that matter). Otherwise I'd still be burning clean, reliable, oil heat.
  • Joe.G
    Options

So I so should be able to run my water on full hot and never run out with either set up? If I go indierct how big of a tank should I get? what is the cost diffrence? can i add a indirect tank to my boiler later on down the road? thanks
  • Dave Tourigny
    Dave Tourigny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Coil vs Tank

Peerless coil has a good hot water output, but don't count on never running out.

Best way to compare is, the coil will give steady hot water at moderate flow to any single fixture. When flow becomes excessive, as would be the case when running more than one fixure together or perhaps even when running full hot at the tub faucet, you may be disapointed to see a decrease in tempeature.

With a storage tank, the boiler will not make hot water any better however you will have the reservoir of the tank size as a buffer and maintain a steady temperature when running multiple fixtures. (40 gallon tank is typical for single family)

A tank is a much better option and well worth the extra when a family and/or more than one bath is present.

Dave T
  • beeper
    beeper Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Go with the the peerless indirect for quality and fuel savings

The boiler will be a cold start that meaning it will not have to be hot all summer to provide hot water when needed.
    You could get the boiler with a tankless coil so that in the winter when the boiler is hot most of the time you could feed the indirect through the tankless coil and you would be pre heating the water for free. Have isolation valves installed so that in the summer you can islote the tankless to avoid condensating in the boiler that could cause any by products of combustion to cake on to the flue passages. Call them and ask for info on this combination.
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Hot water

Joe, An indirect is the way to go. By having capacity in the tank you will have better delivery of hot water at a uniform temperature. Coils can be a problem if you have hard water. You can add an indirect later, just make sure you make provisions in the boiler piping so it can be added easily.

Gary from Granville
  • Jim M
    Jim M Member Posts: 29
    Options

This may be a little from left feild but we have been getting away from water makers and using Rinnai's. With this set up you can size the boiler for the heat load and the domestic for the domestic need. In our area 1 Rinnai will do approx 2 fixtures and they have an excellent master-slave controller for multiple units
  • Joe.G
    Options

With just the coil would I lose hot water when the boiler kicks on to heat the houes?
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Coil Control

Hi Joe,

If your boiler comes with a coil the control on it will not let the house heat unless a certain temperature is maintained. This is to give priority to the coil.

Leo
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Indirect

Joe have you asked any of these questions to contractor who is going to put in your boiler??
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Hot water

Joe, Yes , when the boiler kicks on for heat it will be competing with the production of hot water. This is a common complaint from my customers with coils. You can get a relatively cold shower when this occurs. This is a big drawback for boilers with coils.

Gary from Granville
This discussion has been closed.