Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Boilers

Options
hydronicsmike
hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
...or could you recommend?

Comments

• Kevin Bouwman
    Kevin Bouwman Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Electric Boilers

I've installed a bunch of the SlantFin Monitrons and am just in the process of installing a pair of Electro TS series in my new shop. I've been happy with the SlantFins but they have a very basic control system and are a little complicated to gang together. I decided to try the Electro boilers (www.electro-mn.com) when my local supply house decided to carry them. They have kits for ganging multiple boilers and they have an integral reset control system. They can also be equipped with a zone control that can be told how big each zone is and then ramp itself up and down appropriately.
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thanks Kevin...

...muchly appreciated.

No one else uses Electric Boilers?
  • Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    some...

I have sold a few Argo AI series. Plain-Jane, competetive, not alot of bells and whistles. Have had 0 problems. Grease the electric meter!

Regards,

PR
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thanks Paul...

...again, you are one of my most reliable sources!!
  • Kevin Bouwman
    Kevin Bouwman Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Electric Boilers

Just to preemptively answer the "How can you afford to use an electric boiler?" question. Most of my customers are getting a 2.3 cents per kwh rate for their entire farm if they need a 75kw or bigger transformer (most do) and have a power company controlled diesel standby generator (most do). This makes electric boilers a no brainer. With electric you can do full reset without worrying about boiler protection. I also find it easier to install a 150 amp power circuit than a gas supply and chimney in a large steel building.

I just built a new shop for myself in town and got a 7 year contract for 2.7 cents for all winter time electrical usage, power and lights included. If at the end of the 7 years I can't get a decent rate I'll sell the electric boilers to my farm customers and put in a natural gas boiler.

Kevin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Slant/Fin Monitron boilers

The only thing about ganging our electric boilers together that I can see as different, is that we require a flow switch on EACH boiler, to protect against failure of elements if the flow rate drops off through any individual boiler.

They work GREAT with tekmar staging controllers!!

Noel
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    Options
    Hey Mike

We have used the Allied, and now that they have come out with their new Bi-Tronic control, it looks even more intriguing, (I am really hoping that the two of you will get together to have an optional outdoor reset controller built for their product!).

We have also installed a couple of Slant/fins. Looks like they should last forever!

We have also installed a couple of Lion boilers. Made in Winnipeg. Nice little boiler that appears to be quite rugged. We did not use any reset control on these.

Lately though, we have gone to the Thermolec line out of Quebec. They have the outdoor reset built right in, and their head engineer was a pleasure to talk with and very helpful. Our only peeve with this line is that they do not have a 120v take-off built into their chassis for the pump.

It seems that lately one in every two has been electric.

Leo G

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • G Averill_2
    G Averill_2 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Electric boilers

We stock/sell Burnham cast iron electric boilers, and efm steel electric boilers. The Burnham are available in 12,16 and 20kw, 240/1phase. The efm are available in 10-30kw, 240/1 phase.
    We find many REC in Iowa and South Dakota offering extremely low rates, that make these units very attractive. We sold a large system in southeast Nebraska Friday which the owner did not want L.P. gas in his home. Many sales of this type also are going with geo-thermal/ radiant floor systems as well.

Mike, I hope this helps.
  • leo g_13
    Options
    Noel

what set-up do you use? Usually i set the boiler to run at 140*, then use the tekmar just to adjust the water temp. I use to have the tekmar control the boiler on/off, but it felt like it would burn-out the contacts quicker.

Leo G

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think I'd need more info

If it's multiple boilers, or if it is a single boiler with multiple tasks, would help determine which control I'd select.

I'd use the high limit as only that, and I'd use the tekmar control that is correct for the job to control the water temperature through the "T&T" terminals in the boiler.

I think that the tekmar control's ability to widen the differential helps to keep the contactors from short cycling, but with this low mass boiler, and a small load, some short cycling will occur at times.

Noel
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Leo, Noel

Depending on how many elements the boiler has, I usually use a Boiler Staging Control. IE.: If the Boiler has 4 elements, I get either a 4-stage Control or at least a 2-stage and gang two elements together each time. I find that staging the elements gives you three things - less temperature swings and longer and healthier cycles on the elements, as well as a better matched output to any given load.

What do you think?

The electric boiler will be installed in NY or CT. I've been asked to recommend one for a friend of mine. But since I don't come across a lot of electric boilers myself, I thought I'd get your guyses feedback. So far, I am going to tell him about the ARGO and the SlantFin.

Thanks guys.

Mike
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thanks Leo...

...I've heard plenty of good things about Allied's Electric Boiler, but have to check with them if they are sold in NY or CT. As far as your other statement is concerned, our doors are always open for business...Just need to get Bill to walk through them ;)

Don't all boilers last forever??

What about "It seems that lately one in every two has been electric"? Are those in the Lower Mainland, or do you go up towards Whistler at all with those?

Regards,

Mike
  • Unknown
    Options
    Our elements are staged

2 at a time come on, delayed by a time delay relay within the boiler. This keeps the inrush surge under control, by not starting everything at the same time.

The contactors are already in place to stage them.

Noel
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thanks Greg.

Your input is always very appreciated. Will check into the Burnham’s as well. It’s hard to pick out of so many great manufacturers....

Do you find that more jobs in your area go without Oil or Gas than do? Just wondering. Leo mentioned above that he also sees an increase of Electric Boiler sales. So electricity can not be too expensive (yet) either to make it unattractive. Not sure whether I should find it interesting or more concerning...

Regards,

Mike
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Nice Noel...

...when are you going to stage them with PID?
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Great Stuff...

...makes sense. Thanks a lot!
  • Unknown
    Options
    You and I should chat about that

We use an outside control company for our controls....

HMmmmmm......

Noel
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Hmmmmm...

...that is right. I know this is drifting a little bit off topic, but you know that we can always work together on something that can be offered as a standart or optional.
    But we'll chat about that at your convenience. You know how to get a hold of us....

Thanks for your feedback.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Electro Industries, Inc.

Makes an electric boiler in various outputs with outdoor reset included.

www.electromn.com

• leo g_13
    Options
    Mike

LOL!!! Actually I have been chatting with Tim about this, so I'll keep the pressure up! LOL!!!!

Yes, a couple up around Furry Creek, but most of them in Vancouver proper. It seems that on some of these new homes, the architec forgets about the venting requirements, so there is no way to get a vent out. Also, with the cost of gas where it is today, we find that the price to heat these homes electrically is quite competitive with a gas boiler. And of course, since most of these homes are spec, it also gives us a price advantage!!!

Leo G

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    ARGO

Check out the new AT boiler. staged input, up to 4 elements. Saw it at CMX in toronto. NICE.
This discussion has been closed.