Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Assembly Problem (Jamie)

Options
Jamie_6
Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
Man are we having some problems!

Last week we started assembling 4 new Peerless push-nipple boilers. While pulling together the first two blocks we split a section on the ear. Figuring it was a fluke we moved to the next block and assembled that one with no problem. Since this boiler was now together we figured it was time to plug it up so a hydro could be done. While installing one of the 1/2" plugs this section cracked.

At this time our local Peerless rep. from Quality Equipment Sales in PA was notified. He ran right down here the following day to see what was going on. He then decided that we where going to assemble a section with him there. Well, that one cracked too. Our rep. then decided he would get someone from Peerless down here with three new sections and see what’s going on.

So yesterday we all gathered with the new sections and started disassembling and assembling the boilers. To no avail the first boiler assembled broke on the block ear! We then got the rest of the boilers together, but while assembling the plugs we another section broke at a 3/4" well.

All I can say is THANK GOD it is not the middle of the winter!

I would like to say that our rep. from Quality has been outstanding. He has kept his word and stood by us this entire time. I also think it is great that someone from Peerless actually showed up on sight.

Although, I am very worried about these boilers and I am hoping we have no problems with them in the years to come!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=289&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Sorry to here it

I feel your frustration. Hope they get it figured out. After having two reps there, there is no chance of your being "He Man" on the wrench's.

Let us know what happens.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Jamie

What size is the boiler?Why the on site assembly?If it's a warranty replacement the MAN doesn't ship a stripped block?Curious as to application and reasoning.Just to small of entrances?

cheese
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    Had a similar problem...

About 10 years ago I had the misfortune of changing intermediate sections of two boilers that rotted through (same sections of both boilers) I was the only company willing to repair instead of replace (new boiler was $12,000 each). The manufacturer at first was not familiar with me or my skills and ability. After the first one broke I immediatly contacted them for guidance and was told "I wasn't assembling them correctly" at which point I flipped out that a rep could render such a reply without first visiting the job. After multible communications they agreed to send some one to check out the re-installation. I let the rep guide me to failure, then chastised his bosses comment. Ultimately they covered all 3 broken (new) sections and the two (old) sections and told me I was on my own for the duration. I made a jig out of U-Channel top and bottom and and held fast to the meat of the block assembly. By drawing in the sections via the jig instead of the ear tabs and mic-ing the push nipples and the openings and taking down a few thousandths off the block sections it worked great. Check the factory engineering data with the boiler opening & the push nipples with a machinists quality gauge and proceed with quality tourch wrenchs. Butter up the nipple and block with a factory approved substance and go for it...Good luck!..Robert O'Connor/NJ..ps: I'm now doing warrentee evaluations for several of the insurance carriers after the "BIG DADDY" only paid me 2/3's of my bill..WHAM!
  • Paul Bock_2
    Paul Bock_2 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Drawing up Boiler sections

Thats interesting. I've never actually drawn together sections by the casting ears.

Get yourself some 3"x3" angle about a 1/2" thick, enough to make four pieces the width of the boiler, plus about 6" either side. Burn some 1.1/4" holes in it and then get some 1" threaded rod and nuts.

For really large sections I put up an I-beam with a trolley on it and use a chain fall to move the sections along and into place. I then use the angle and rods, inline top and bottom with the push nipples to begin drawing the sections up, one at a time.

For really long asseblies I have rod couplings handy to lenthen the rods as I go. This takes some time to do, so I used to work with Block assy. on larger boilers, and then just draw up the blocks on site.

I can't account for the Tappings breaking out, Thats a new one for Me.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options

Mike,

These are some big boilers about 400,000 BTU's a piece and weigh over 1200 pounds assembled. We followed the instructions step by step and still had these problems.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    Options
    cast iron assembly

We always have used hydraulic ram press tools. Using chanel to span the top and bottom corner nips. This was with burnham. Now they use draw bolts with heavy ears to pull together the sections. Easier than the old way, especially hauling the tool kit which weighs about 200+ lbs. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.