Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

corosion on new copper pipe

Options
Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
not electrical flux...plumbing flux. it can grow as it were inside and out....another means of Spots is condensation...or leaks... Could i interest you in going with Rehau or wirsbo potable tubing for the water lines? by bye ugly flux growths....Pat Clark in Anchorage may have heard of a story of a Group of apartment houses that the contractor hadnt reamed the pipes and with the amount of flux coupled with the burrs the stuff had to be ripped out and replaced in realatively short order... heard about this a couple years ago while visiting anchorage for a Bees class for my tenative G.C.with residential endorsement.

Comments

• purdyfine
    purdyfine Member Posts: 1
    Options
    corrosion on new copper lines

I have seen this occasionally throughout the years. The pipes seem to develope leprosy. They just spot up willy-nilly. The house I bought is full of it. I heard it could be a poor ground but can't confirm this. Ant thoughts?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,321
    Options
    water

Hello: I'd start by checking the PH and hardness of the water. If you soften the water, that could be preventing a hardness film from forming in the pipe. This film is protective. Over-softening can also strip off an already developed film. I'll bet the Copper Development Association will have a LOT more to say on the topic!
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Are these pin holes?

If so there are two types those that start on the outside, and those that start on the inside :) Water quality, stray electrical current, dielctric action, chemicial splash, the list goes on..

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    seen DWV in copper....

being used as a roof drain once and while it Appeared ok it was paper thin could put your pinky through the wall of some 4" like it was tin foil or gold leaf:)
  • Kevin_in_Denver
    Kevin_in_Denver Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Acid Rain?

Only explanation I can think of.
This discussion has been closed.