Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with mechanical symbol

Options
Bud_14
Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
I'm not sure if I understand the need. Are you looking to make or are you looking for symbol already completed. A great book for your own ideas can come from HVAC Systems Evaluation, There are tons of drawings that are simple enough to develop patterns from & ideas from. ISBN 0-87629-182-5 (approx 500 pages) a bit pricy but a great reference and learning tool.

Bud

TheSheetMetalShop.Com

Comments

• hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Hydronic Heating / Cooling Air Handler Symbol needed...

...for mechanical drawings. Ideally even something that could identify Air Handlers with Variable Speed Fans.

any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    Wow,

> ...for mechanical drawings. Ideally even

> something that could identify Air Handlers with

> Variable Speed Fans.

>

> any input is greatly

> appreciated.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Mike

• Paul Rohrs
    Options
    Wow,

> Variable Speed Fans.

>

> any input is greatly

> appreciated.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Mike

• Paul Rohrs
    Options
    Wow,

> Variable Speed Fans.

>

> any input is greatly

> appreciated.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Mike

• Paul Rohrs
    Options
    Wow!

I didn't think this would be a difficult item to obtain.
    Oh contrare!

I called my rep agency on the AIR-CAD side. They only had a "stick" figure cube drawing with a "VAV" label. I emailed Mcquay's tech dept,....nothing yet. I have an engineer that keeps me in his "back pocket", I'll talk with him Monday to see if he can help.

A plethora of web searchs provided me with the following. I know you have Visio capabilities so I'll attach the vsd file with two templates, but it is far from what you are after. I'll attach it in JPEG format also for others to view.

It is times like these that we should ALL roll up the ole' sleeves and see if we can help a friend in need. If you don't know Mike, he is a HUGE asset to our industry, and has bailed out many a contractor (I presume). I know he has helped me out when ever asked.

My wife was an artist in College. Even a simple JPEG can be re-drawn in stencil form.

Regards,

PR
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thanks Paul.

Yes, this kind of stuff is basically it. I want to find as many different Air Handler Symbols used in some of those mechanical drawings as possible.

Wow, I thought this was going to be much easier...
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Tekmar

Do you have the Tekmar symbols yet?

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Symbols

Do you have the tekmar symbols yet?
    Sorry it is a scanned image so the quality is not so great.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Thank you sir...

...I made those tekmar shapes you are refering to. What I need to add to this library, is a symbol for any type of air handling unit that could be in a system. It should be pretty generic but enough to symbolize or address the different features some of those may have. I thought there would be a lot of symbols already out there. Just wanted to get an idea of what this symbol could look like in order to keep it pretty much in line to what you guys are already used to. Now, I find out, that those symbols seem a lot harder to come by than I thought....

Thanks for your help.

Mike
  • Doug Murphy_3
    Doug Murphy_3 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Can you be more specific (diagrammatic vs. plan vs. section)

We, as an engineering firm, usually show AHU's as a box with the components inside the box. (Filters, Cooling coil, Heating coil, mixing box, dampers, DX coil, Gas furnace...etc) There are literally hundreds of symbols to use. On our plan drawings we show a rectangle with pipe & duct connections. In a flow diagram it's just a rectangle.
    Most AHU manufacturers create their own drawing of the unit. These manufacturers drawings are usually very detailed with sections and plan views. You could even tell me exactly what you want and I could draw it for you.
    I would draw it in AutoCad but then convert it to any form you want (jpg, dxf, etc.)

Doug M
  • hydronicsmike
    Options
    Wow Doug...

....that would be great.

your statement "we usually show AHU's as a box with the components inside the box. (Filters, Cooling coil, Heating coil, mixing box, dampers, DX coil, Gas furnace...etc)" pretty much fits the bill. It is supposed to be a symbol we show on a mechanical drawing with any control interface that may be neccessary.

I hope this helps you help me better :)

Thanks for your help!!

Regards,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.