Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydronic towel warmers

Options
marc
marc Member Posts: 203
how do you go about installing a towel warmer, more on the control strategy side. with weather responsive controls going into just about everything we do now, how do you achieve warm towels during wwsd, do you do a set point control, timer, trv, wild loop, just curious how everyone else tackles this problem. about 5-10 % of the customers ask about towel warmers with the boiler. but only have installed 5 or less. or do you just install an electric self contained, plug-in warmer. marc

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    In all honesty

Unless you already have a source of constant (or very nearly constant) circulation (either space heating or domestic hot water) use the oil-filled electric.

Properly loaded with towels they contribute little heat to the space and consequently have a small energy requirement.

As long as they are provided with a nearly constant source of heat, they do as they say and people want--WONDERFUL, fluffy and "thirsty" towels.
  • Kevin_in_Denver
    Kevin_in_Denver Member Posts: 64
    Options
    towel warmer

You can tap into the hot water line going to the shower, send it through the towel warmer and back to the shower. I really like the control strategy.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Here's a link to Instructions

Myson Towel Warmer Installation

Note: "Myson hydronic towel warmers take 20 to 30 minutes to heat towels properly. For this reason, we do not recommend piping towel warmers through shower valves."

IMHO that 20-30 minute period is an utter minimum--longer seems much better--particularly if you've folded the towels into 3-4 layers in order to fully load the warmer.
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    Options
    Hydronic towel warmers

I've seen and used a number of these, and the typical installation that I've seen work well is to use one of those Danfoss self regulating control valves on the pipe connection. Very common approach in Europe, and can run off the same circuit as radiant floor heating.
  • Kevin_in_Denver
    Kevin_in_Denver Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Myson

Good point, I was going to sweat up my own anyway. The local chrome plating shop can chrome it for $80.
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Towel Warmers

We usually pipe them just like a radiator; with our without a TRV and tell the owners that they will only have warm towels when it's cold outside.

We once installed one on the DHW circulating system and used venturi tees off the main to allow for TRV action.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    If in DHW

I installed mine in a gravity recirculation loop. Towel warmer is the highest, farthest element of the loop.

It's right at the end of the loop where it changes from supply to return. With valve in warmer open, there's plenty of circulation; with valve closed, the loop still functions.

Photo shows temp less than an hour after the gravity loop became operational. I generally turn up the DHW temp in winter; down in summer. This was summer with supply at about 120°. The ¾" connection right above the thermometer supplies tub filler and towel warmer. The ½" connection to the right (just before loop sizes down from ¾" to ½") is the return from the warmer. This part of the loop is about 14' above the heat source and 50' or so away.
  • marc
    marc Member Posts: 203
    Options
    domestic question

are there towel warmers rated for potable?? just curious, with a recirc. line on domestic this sounds like a pretty good idea. i also liked the idea of warm towels only when it is cold out. but some people also want warm floors in bathroom when the air is on. the towel warmers alone are very costly, not including the install and parts. thanks marc
  • Answer

No! I have seen various brands of these fail prematurely when connected to potable water. Now with our own line of these, we are also stating not to connect them to potable hot water. They are intended for closed systems only.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Ive built

some stainless steel tube towel warmers for a DHW loop. The stainless "look" fit the bath decor and should last forever.

Close up shows the FIP 90's embedded in the wall for the rough in. Also a small bleeder port.

Make sure you insulate the entire DHW loop if you run it 24/7. insulate it even if you run intermitantly :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Buderus

We usually set them up on their own zone with a 45 minute timer so they can hit the timer when they get in the tub or shower.
    Buderus just came out with a stainless towel warmer rated for potable.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Sorry

Sorry it is Runtal that has that towel warmer.
    You might have to talk to your Runtal Rep I don't think it is on their web site yet.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • \"Maine\" doug
    \"Maine\" doug Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Mine is a

Veha on the granite wall next to the claw foot tub. It is plumbed on its own lines to the manifold for the floor loops so the colder it is outside, the hotter the towel rack. The chill is taken off the bottom of the claw foot tub by the radiant floor.

http://www.veha.com/bathroom.html
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    And we -

Pipe them with the same loop (parellel) as the bathroom radiant or hydronic zone. Warm only when it's cold outside. Usually controlled by the same thermostat (statlink) as the bathroom. While we sell them based on client comfort - it's usually supported by the need for supplemental heat in a smaller space.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    The Myson

materials are completely safe for potable water and units are tested to quite high pressure. Fit and finish are exceptional--both well reflected in price. Like anything though, it might spring a leak and if under domestic pressure it'll be a big one...

Here's hoping I never find out!
This discussion has been closed.