Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Favorite meal

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
The "Pasta Mardi Gras" at Pappadeux. Had it yesterday in San Antonio. It is very similar to jambalaya including linguine, prawns, shrimp, sausage and mushroom. Yum. I'm, trying to get them to put a franchise in the Detroit area. Great eats!

Comments

• DaveC
    DaveC Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Ever try making it yourself...

with the "Zaterins" rice mix? You can experiment with adding chicken, ham, peppers, and onion, too. I don't ever want to see another crawfish, though - the only time I ever ordered it in a restuarant, a fly flew out of the head when I cracked it open - total barfsville!
  • G. Gibbs
    G. Gibbs Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Best meal...

When you can get all the kids at the table @ one time, soccer, baseball, band, basketball, softball...you know the drill.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Sushi

I could live on the stuff
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

At Pappadeaux? By far Crayfish Bisque and Orleans Fish.

Here during the summer?

Thinnish fried pork chops dredged in flour--fat "rind" on the edge perfectly crisp.

Mixed greens--spinich, turnip, collard and a bit of kale or dandelion--seasoned with ham hocks with cider vinegar on the side. (Some fresh, some frozen from spring garden.)

Home canned cow peas (purple hull peas) seasoned with onion saut
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Here in Joisey...

we've got so many great places to eat it's beyond hope to try to get to all of them, and some guys will take their opinions of the best pizza or best hot dog or best whatever to the field of honor if you dare to differ with them.

Favorites?
    Ethnic: Italian, Portugese/Spanish,Gourmet Chinese
    American: My own recipe ribs, steak from any good steak
    place, my own recipe Buffalo wings,
    traditional turkey dinner.
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Brann's

Also Brann's Steakhouse (Midwest). Best French Dip sandwich on the planet. Always tastes better when the wife and kids are chowin' down with me.
  • Carl PE_2
    Carl PE_2 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Albert's BBQ.

3rd & Beale, Memphis.

• Grumpy_2
    Grumpy_2 Member Posts: 82
    Options

Any meal as long as it is with family and friends. For fav places to dine out:
    1. DelFrisco's Steakhouse- Lee Rd. Orlando, Florida
    2. Bern's Steakhouse -Tampa, Florida
    3. The Rosebud- Taylor Street in Chicago, excellent for pasta served in the finest surroundings.
    4. Anthony's Pier 4 - Boston, for seafood.

But, like I said it is just food without family and friends to make it a meal!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Oil change 2 X/ year

Seafood,It would have to be either the Clam Box, in Ipswich, or Woodman's in Essex Ma.

Ask Milne! He'll confirm.

Anything cooked by my sister W/the family would come in 2nd.(Mom was/is a lousy cook and would be the first to admit it! Sis caught the cooking bug from Dad!)Chris
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Best Clams on the Cape

Arnold's in Eastham on the Cape. " Best fried clams in the world".
    Darin
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Favorite meal of the year

Mom's homemade Venison sauerbraten with "real" potato pancakes and gingersnap gravy. Of course there is red cabbage to go with it. A nice Riesling from the Rhine river valley goes nicely with it. This has been a family tradition for years and I make sure we never lack for venison.

Darin
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Darin

I just drooled all over my keyboard mmmmmmmmm.

I love good Chinese but Moms thancksgiving day meal is tough to beat. Her giblet gravy is like a stew. Home made pies, she once made twelve. That was back in the day when her "boys" were in thier eating prime :)

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options

Darin,

Or a nice Kassler Ripchen with Satzles and lots of gravy. Potato Pancakes or Potato dumplings work too.

Or a country fried boneless porkchop.........

Learned how to make all that from my German Grandma.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

When I'm lazy and don;t want to cook it's up to Otto's Brauhaus for german eats.

2nd favorite to cook/eat is Thai/chinese.

wheels
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Potato pancakes, now

that brings back fond memories. Mom would have us grind the potatoes in the portable, steel grinder attached to the counter.

Potato pancakes with rice in warm milk was one of the Friday night meatless meals during lent-great stuff and super memory. Thanks Darin.

Jack
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FAVORITE MEAL? SCHINKERNOODLE

Favorite meal...Got to be SCHINKERNOODLE..(Nor really sure that is the way it is spelled, but, in German, "schinker" means ham, and, noodle means noodle therefore "ham and noodles)..Real old German recipe. (Got it from my grandmother and passed it on to my wife). Put left over ham through a meat grinder and add onions diced up real fine and pepper.(You don't need to add salt, the ham has plenty). Cook some broad egg noodles in a cast-iron pan and add the ham mixture and mix it in...cook till everything is slightly steaming on a low to medium heat.
    Easy to make and the left overs are just as good the second time when re-heated, either back in the pan with a little water or in a microwave.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    toss-up

Between venison tenderloin w/ baked potato and venison tips w/gravy over noodles.
  • DaveC
    Options
    How about speatzle?

German noodles - hard to find in the restuarants, though. You can buy them in some supermarkets, premade - boil, then fry in butter, add Mike's ingredients, and I also put in mushrooms, and at the end scramble in a few eggs and then melt in some swiss cheese. Alot of people have the impression that German food is all sausages, they only go the chain-type restuarants (Thank God Its Fried, Crapplebees, The Outhouse) - they don't know what their missing!
  • Unknown
    Options
    spatzle

one cup of flour
    one large egg
    1/4 cup water (more or less to make consistancy)
    1/4 tsp salt
    pepper to taste

Mix ingrediants to a pasty substance. Bring large pot of water to a boil. If you know how to slide the batter into noodles using a cutting board and a knife, do so, and keep the knife and the board wet.

If you need easy, using a potato squeezer to make noodles (looks like an oversized garlic press).

Boil 5-10 minutes.

• DaveC
    Options
    That doesn't sound so hard...

gotta give it a try! I've already mastered "real" potato pancakes - they do take some time to make, and alot of tears get shed, but to watch everyone go for seconds, thirds, fourths...

I like Spaten beer - Optimator "double shovels" - reeeeeeaaaaal dark!
  • R. Kalia
    R. Kalia Member Posts: 349
    Options

Yes, I would toss up either of them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

dobel bach..............

rich, dark, filling

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Lobstah

lobstah, like uncle billy said what the best sound is-- breakfast is served, lunch is served, dinner is served.

Gary from Granville
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Best......... hmmmmm

The best steak I have ever had the pleasure of eating in a resturant was at St. Elmo's Steakhouse in downtown Indianapolis. But you better go in with $150 to feed you and the little woman.

I had dinner with a group that went to Buderus and Jim French took us to a place, a real old place, don't know the name of it, but the seafood was fantabulous. It was in the old downtown area of Boston and had an ancient bar in the front part of the building.

Home cookin' as follows:

Depends on the time of year.

Spring meal would have to be a pan full of wild morel mushrooms dredged through seasoned flour and fried up in butter along with some fresh from the river brook trout.
    A side salad made with tender dandelion greens would top it off.

Summer: Anything with the first bowl of strawberry shortcake. I live all year for that first bite of fresh from the field strawberries. Next, 1/2 lb. burgers hot off the grill (mandatory charcoal not gas) along with Grandmas potato salad made with freshly dug red potatoes.

Fall: Has to be venison butterfly steaks that were on the hoof three hours ago. Bread 'em, fry 'em, then make a batch of gravy using some mushroom soup and the juice from the steaks. Serve it with homemade mashed potatoes (Russett Burbank's from the late garden), corn or green beans from the garden and throw in my mother-in-laws recipe for baking powder biscuits and I'll over eat everytime.

Winter: Christmas Dinner with the Ebels tribe. We go all out and buy a bunch of magnum size crab legs and some lobsta. Boil them up outdoors in a turkey fryer filled with water instead of grease. Brother Mark the meat man cuts and ages some New York Strip Steaks for about 3-4 weeks. Try 2" thick and you can still cut 'em with a fork! All the other fixin's you can imagine including stuffed Cornish hens, spiral sliced ham stuck with cloves and a pinapple and honey glaze my sister concocted. Christmas cookies, cakes, more ethnic Dutch stuff than you can imagine. AAAHHHhhhhhhhh I think I'm getting hungry.
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Steve

SOunds like the Union Oyster house, then again any old bar in Bostin.

You bread the venison ? My buddy, who is a great cook, once had me over and he fryed up some back bacon and then slid the venison in. MMmmmmmmmmm.

Fear No Food !!!

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Cousin!

I think there is an Ebels in my family tree. I can taste that Christmas dinner now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    venison...mmmmmmmm

Scott,

I make a 12 hour saubraten with my venison steaks.

Take steaks, put in vacuum sealer 9x9 container, add viniger, rice wine vinegar a touch of balsamic vinegar (see a trend here?), three cloves garlic (minced) and pepper. Vacuum seal.

In a CI skillet, get real hot, sear steaks, pour in liquid from vaccum sealer, simmer forever while making speatzle (see above). Thicken gravy with a little cornstarch/coldwater mixture.

Must have either corn or red cabage as a side.

OK, I'm going home to make dinner (and it's 8am)

wheels
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    You forgot one thing, Steve:

BAM
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    You're welcome any time John

You have to chip in for your share of Christmas dinner though. (G)
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Thanks Steve

Maybe I can stop in for leftovers. I'm taking the family to the Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City for a few days after Christmas. I'll be driving right by your neighborhood.
  • ScottMP
    Options
  • DaveC
    Options
    I do...

over and over again!

Actually tonight, I'm going to my fav German restuarant - the Jaegerhaus. Planning on the Roastbraten or Jaeger Schnitzel! Hope the accordian dude is there!!!
  • RADSTEVE_2
    RADSTEVE_2 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Dinosaur BBQ

There's no BBQ like the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY
This discussion has been closed.