Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proffesionalism????

Options
Maine Ken
Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
This morning I went a home where there was a "strange" noise coming from the boiler. What I found was a loose counterweight on the barometric and when the boiler fired it made some banging. I fixed the problem. While I was there I saw that the oil tank was dripping oil from most of the connections on top. The house is 12 1/2 months old. The installer used teflon on all of the joints and they were leaking. I advised the HO and showed him what I was seeing. He asked for advice. I told him that it was a code violation and that the installer is responsible for it.

The HO called the builder after I left. I know this because my employer recieved a profanity laced phone call from the installer. The installer asked us who we were to be causing him problems. He threatened us with physical harm if he ever saw us. He also stated that he doesn't use teflon "anymore". After several threats my employer very politely terminated the call.

I have a duty to the HO to advise them of code violations, oil leaks etc. Is it just me or should people admit when the screw up instead of blaming the guy who comes next and finds the screwup???

BTW the installer does do service, just installs.

Comments

• Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    The 'next' time I wouldn't be

the gentlemen you and your boss were, I'd simply drop a dime to the right authority and let'em swing. There was nothing professional about his conduct.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sounds like there is a reason

the installer doesn't do service work...he has the personality of a door stop....hopefully you will aquire all his install's as customers...
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    Yep

It's more than a duty its the law for us to notify of hazardous situations.

Yeah sometimes it aint pretty but your covering your A** too. If an inspector is ever on the job he will be aware that you didn't notify.

The statute of limitations is seven years in Maine . So there is little recourse.

I'm always going behind a guy in Gray that only does installs too .
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Options
    Yep

It's more than a duty its the law for us to notify of hazardous (out of code)situations.

Yeah sometimes it aint pretty but your covering your A** too. If an inspector is ever on the job he will be aware that you didn't notify.

The statute of limitations is seven years in Maine . So there is little recourse for the homeowner.

I'm always going behind a guy in Gray that only does installs too .

Don't let em rattle ya . Everybody involved should be able to see what the installer is.

Hey it was good meeting ya the other day!

All the best

Robert

ME
  • Ed_13
    Ed_13 Member Posts: 164
    Options
    Professionals

Ken,

You were the professional in this situation. That other guy is obviously a hack, and proud of it.

One thing that you won’t have to worry about is that you will never run into him on a site like this. We all come here to learn something. He won’t. He obviously knows EVERYTHING that there is to know about EVERYTHING.

And hey, he is by-lingual too. He speaks English and Profane. :o)

Regards,

Ed Carey
  • Biged
    Biged Member Posts: 117
    Options

I had the same thing happen to me on a service call, after i found the problem and fixed it I poked around a little
    and saw that some genious installed an oil tank and bushed the vent pipe down to 1",so I informed the home owner of what was happening every time she got a delivery of oil. well she call the guy that installed it and some time after he saw me at the supply house and gave me a hard time, but I don't care as far as I am concern last guy ther is on the hook.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options
    7 yrs???

Robert, I know some crimes have a seven year limit, but isn't a code violation always a code violation? If not can you direct me where to look for documentation? This house is 12 months and two weeks old. When the installer was there two days before me he adamantly advised the HO that his one year warranty was up!!!

Could you send me an e-mail on who it is in Gray? I am more than curious. kviger@maine.rr.com

Thanks....
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Options
    Heres the rumors work under !

In Maine anything you put in somebodies primary residence will have a four year warranty. Contact the Maine attorney General's Consumer Affairs Division for details. I laugh when I am told the builder only gives em one year .

Yep Statute of Limitations applies to work as far as Maine OSFB is concerned . However your correct a code problem is a code problem if it was against code when it was installed. So the homeowner should bring it up to code.

It's been a while since I looked int this so if you find out something different let me know.

The outfit I chase is a Plumbing and Heating contractor that seems to do only new construction He quotes a i year policy

Enjoy the weekend

Robert
This discussion has been closed.