Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

space pak balance?

Options
singh
singh Member Posts: 866
Just looking up some info on space pak ; A 4 ton system is recomended to have a min of 26 outlets, yet once you balance outlets you no longer have full oulets.
Are additional outlets required to get the full recommended minimum?

Is balancing that critical in open floor plan ( great room ,kitchen,din rm, foyer...?)

Does anyone know if spacepak is still giving seminars?

Comments

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    spacepak

> Just looking up some info on space pak ; A 4 ton

> system is recomended to have a min of 26 outlets,

> yet once you balance outlets you no longer have

> full oulets. Are additional outlets required to

> get the full recommended minimum?

>

> Is balancing

> that critical in open floor plan ( great room

> ,kitchen,din rm, foyer...?)

>

> Does anyone know

> if spacepak is still giving seminars?

I have installed a lot of spacepak with good results.I use 7 outlets per ton and do consider the severely resticted outlets in proportion to their restriction such as two 50% = 1 when in doubt use more outlets rather than less it us always easier to restrict outlets rather than install them after the fact. In regards to your question about open concept homes then the balancing is less imprtant. If you follow the instructions very little if any balancing is required.

John
  • Bill Kinnard
    Bill Kinnard Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Space Pak

I also dealt with Space Pak quite a bit. I agree with John. You will use the balancing orifices when you have amaller rooms or are dumping too much air in on area. Also, you will want to take this restriction into account on total air flow. Johns rule of 7 runs per ton is pretty good.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Hi-Velocity Air is Like the Gravity Systems of Yore

"once you balance outlets you no longer have full oulets"

Balancing is a multi-stage HUMAN process.

Start with requirement and compute number of necessary outlets at standard output.

Draw probable pathways [lengths] for ducts and adjust "standard" runs into reality.

Determine adjusted output of each run.

Recompute output at adjusted head loss for longer than "standard" runs of tubing.

Compare to original requirement.

If off by more than 20% in any space, change number or length of outlets. Compute and start again from close to the beginning...

Continue this process until your balance is as close to 10% as possible.

High-pressure A/C sytems generally work with a SINGLE return because it is ASSUMED that delivery is balanced and the return air temperature is representative!!!!

Compute each room (even if attached by a wide opening) as SEPARATE!!! Hall, kitchen, family, laundry, etc.

This discussion has been closed.