Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The usefulness of an old radiator.

Options
Mike Kraft_2
Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
I believe that Nelson Bundy designed his rads as individual sections that have a 1 1/4" MNPT thread.they in turn screw into a base.You would need to drill and tap each individual section in order to allow the air to vent away manually.This may damage the value as a collectable radiator.As these beauties are a rare find.

cheese

ps I have thought about using mine with a small electric boiler to compliment or supplement my soon to be radiant floor heat:)............Yes I too am a procrastinator......just ask my wife1

Comments

• Pete_11
    Pete_11 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The usefulness of an old radiator.

I am building my house & using a hot water system with old cast iron radiators. I am water testing for leaks before I go through the expense of sandblasting & painting. One of the radiators, the oldest & nicest looking is called a Bundy Elite. It was originally used as a one-pipe steam radiator. It is a 3 column radiator 38” tall, 4 sections. The one end or leg section had a plug in the bottom & a 1/8” hole tapped 2/3 of the way up the (for the steam air vent) also has a 1/8” hole which is plugged near the top of the radiator but on the inside. It appears that when the radiator was originally put together it had the provisions to be used for hot water heating if the leg section was put on the other way around. The sections are only connected to each other on the bottom there is no connection on the top. I removed the bottom plug, plugged the steam vent hole, & drilled & tapped a hole at the top for the air vent. When I try to fill the radiator while it is standing up only the bottom and end section fill. When I lay it down I can fill the whole radiator and it doesn’t leak. I suppose I can install it and fill it the same way by putting a valve on both sides, fill it, close the valves, stand it up, & pipe it in, but will it stay filled to the top and working efficiently when the heating system is in operation? How are radiators like this without rods held together? One of the leg sections is a little canted from the rest of the radiator. It would be nice to straighten it out but it doesn’t leak now and I’m afraid of making things worst. I can live with it as it is if it will work right. I’m going to post a couple more questions today, all about these old radiators but I’ll try to separate the topics. Thanks for the help.
    Last month I posted a question here and thanks to everyone for all the advice. Maybe someone can help with this one.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Those without threaded rods are held together with threaded nipples. After decades, this can be practically considered a permanent, non-reversible connection.

Your fill scheme might work--once. With only one (and only four sections at that) it would seem practical to put a bleeder at the top of each section--provided you can find an appropriate--meaning accessible at a true right angle with drill/tap and reasonably flat--place to drill and tap.
  • Dennis Lee
    Dennis Lee Member Posts: 17
    Options
    old rads.

Pete,
    You may want to check with a heating pro., but I am sure you can not use this rad. as it is not connected at the top. I have always been told they will not circulate properly without tops being connected.
    Dennis.
This discussion has been closed.