Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outside hose bib

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I have a house that I am renting to some college students. I am replacing the outside hose bib and it occured to me that I can't really depend on those guys to turn it off and drain it for the Winter. Are there any products out there that can help prevent any freeze up problems for this situation? WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Ray_9
    Ray_9 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    hose bib

Install a non-freezing sill cock. This has a long stem that reaches the valve mechanism Inside the house. its about $20.
  • Grumpy_2
    Grumpy_2 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Wayne try something like this

I use the Models 25 and 27 quite a bit. Plumbing supply houses have them a good bit cheaper than the website offers.

http://www.plumbingproducts.com/woodford.html
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Remeber though!!

The garden hose must be disconnected in freezing temps.........or it can't drain and will freeze!

cheese
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    also

Get one with the backflow preventer and anti-siphon. The reasons, to you, should be obvious. They're code here in NY, but I see the plain ones on shelves from time to time.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Make sure

the brand of freezeless bib you use will drain even with a hose attached! Not all brands do.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Hot Rod

Which ones will drain with the hose attached ??

We have this problem ALOT... " Oh I am sure My Husband disconnected the hose, he doe's it every year. This Must be Defective ". Thats right after we pick up the anti-siphon valve off the ground.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Aas I recall

it is a Woodford brand. It would drain around the stem just behind the handle. Had a brown plastic handle and a clear plastic ring behind the handle to divert the dripping (drain water) down.

I believe many of the commercial ones have a drain port or chute also to allow draining with a hose attached.

You're right, teaching the operator to not keep cranking on the shut off handle to stop the drain water is the challange. Especially with rental properties! They keep cranking thinking the valve is not shutting off, while it is draining.

What this world needs is a good "ball valve" type frost free bib with backflow and "hose on" drain features. I had a design in mind for a H&C freezeless using a Moen cartridge once upon a time. I don't much mess with plumbing these days and have lost interest in the project :) Too many fish to fry in the hydronics world.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.