Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

whats more efficient hydronic or warm air

Options
pj_2
pj_2 Member Posts: 10
the question over @ hvac-talk was asked
someone said to ask the hydro guys so ?

I say any really good heating guy would have hydronics in their own house be it radiant or basebord with split system a.c. in the attic. Ok so what do you think is more efficient. I'm sure this has been hashed over before.

I say,
warm air is cost effective for installation
hydronic is more comfortable and more efficient

I had warm air in my house before I put in Baseboard, fuel cost went down, both were 80+ %

but hey what do I know
I've only been in the hvac biz for 35 yr.

thanks
pjs

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    How many trips to the Dr.s and days of drudgery...

due to colds and flu ? IAQ .
    ........seems comfort is relative to each individual.DO the best with what God gives us and thats about it from me. Scheduling things today is not making me a happy camper:( it is summer time here and some how we are in twiddle the thumbs mode...there must be some sorta silver lining to it although i fail to see it at this momment.............. just thought i'd share that with you.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    The answer we can all agree on!

That depends.

Based purely on the main question, "which is more efficient"? (not which provides greater comfort)

They are so close as to be, for all practical purposes, capable of virtually identical efficiencies.

The main caveat would be the installation of the distribution system and emitters of each form. Most install hydronics reasonable well. However, most F/H/A systems are rarely installed properly )e.g., no return air ducts in each room, poorly insulated ductwork, total absence of zones, requiring variable fan speeds, etc.) and so, are generally very inferior efficincy-wise from hot water systems. That is the reality of the generalized comparison. That in no way means F/H/A can't be installed resulting in equal efficiency as a hydronic system.

It just isn't the norm.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    And one we may not all agree on...

If you believe that proportional control has an inherent efficiency by keeping space temperature fluctuation to a minimum, then even the most perfectly installed and state-of-the-art forced air residential systems are only crudely proportional.

Hydronic systems on the other hand can be HIGHLY proportional without excessive material cost.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    A small aside....

All but 1 of the tin knockers I've worked with or know have FHW heat in their homes.(1 has a very nice steam system too!) The one I've worked on most recently did have the split system, run from the boiler. It had a humongus air filter system with air for the whole home. Most rooms had either baseboards or radiant floors with zone dampers for all A/C zones.

When it comes to effecencies, I say who cares. I'll go with COMFORT any day. Chris

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options

> the question over @ hvac-talk was asked someone

> said to ask the hydro guys so ?

>

> I say any

> really good heating guy would have hydronics in

> their own house be it radiant or basebord with

> split system a.c. in the attic. Ok so what do you

> think is more efficient. I'm sure this has been

> hashed over before.

>

> I say, warm air is cost

> effective for installation hydronic is more

> comfortable and more efficient

>

> I had warm air

> in my house before I put in Baseboard, fuel cost

> went down, both were 80+ %

>

> but hey what do I

> know I've only been in the hvac biz for 35

> yr.

>

> thanks pjs

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Can you say

H-Y-D-R-0-N-I-C-S. I removed a scorched air furnace from my home and installed baseboard with radiant in the kitchen and baths. I have kept records of my oil consumption and believe me, I use less oil by far with hot water.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Attic

The high end heating people I know all have basements, common in the midwest, and have radiant heat for comfort and ductwork in the basement for the AC. The air mover for the AC is a very cheap gas furnace ( J ) brand with a normal outside condenser. This way ALL maintenance is done in the nice comfy basement and the attic seal and all the problems of the drains and leaky ductwork in a -30 degree attic are avoided. And, if the boiler goes down it's pretty easy to get heat from the little furnace. You just turn on the gas and switch on the power. A 4 inch b vent will handle a standard water heater 40 or 50 K and this fan assist 60K furnace. This is a good idea in my area since the AC load is so small and the cooling season short. The little furnace is made to work in TX and the mid south so it can handle up to 3 tons AC. As to your question, Canadian studies have shown no difference in fuel consumption at comparable AFUE.
This discussion has been closed.