Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

repairing kink in PEX

Options
Here's a follow up. I've contacted a representative from each style PEX available (A, B and C... D is not yet here in USA). The answer to my kink question comes back the same from all. here is a sample:

"When doing a repair, it is very important that the temperature is held below 300 F. When a heat gun is to be used, the temperature setting must be tried out, first. That is the temperature where the tubing is to be inserted to be heated. This temperature should be tested out to be around 280 F - after several minutes of having the tool on. When this setting is tested out, it should be quite safe to make a repair.
If a discoloration has occurred - this is a sign that the material has been affected - and the actual area MUST be cut out. We made numerous tests ageing repaired (reheated) samples, and the margins to notably affecting the ageing resistance are quite large when appropriate techniques are used (see above).
However, if you see a considerable risk that inappropriate heating will take place - it is certainly better to ban this repair method. Almost any installation method can be abused by careless installers. If not installed with care - don't install."

So, all this stuff from the Big Green about fixing a kink, yes it works... BUT NOW we know to limit the temperature.

I was even sent pictures of accelerated aging samples of repaired kinks of all style of PEX tubes. Very eye opening. Wish I had received ALL the information in the beginning. Maybe this will now be included in most PEX training seminars under the "fun with pex" heading.

wheels

Comments

• Tim Doran_2
    Tim Doran_2 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    ????????

The "Big Green" I assume is Wirsbo and Wirsbo has always stated a need for temperature control and has always stated the recommended limits in the installation handbook. Go to Dan's library-Wirsbo-Installation handbook-page 12. Nothing new, no big secrets, guess I missed your point.

Tim D.
  • KP
    KP Member Posts: 6
    Options

This discussion has been closed.