Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is it that you drink? We have ways of knowing.

Options
Christian Egli
Christian Egli Member Posts: 277
Getting tired of installing, say, a vacuumizer, well then, it's time for a coffee break but from now on scientists will be monitoring us.

A research center had analyzed the water taken from a series of lakes and has found that it is not just pure water anymore, our lakes have become caffeinated! Measurements have determined that remote lakes contained less than 2 nanograms of caffeine per liter, but that those lakes surrounded by coffee drinking humans had as much as 250 ng / l, which is equivalent to about four and a half double espresso mocha latte per gallon.

It turns out caffeine is not completely gotten rid of by our sewer systems, so this study will make it real easy to find the nearest Starbucks to any given lake. It will also give us a clue to what people are doing when standing around a lake, but, what's got to be frustrating is that people who are on decaf will get away undetected.

I read this in Today's Chemist at Work, June 2004 Issue, during my ... coffee break. Come to think of it, I have never seen a fish sleep. Now I know why.

But I still have a question: has anyone got data on what happens to a boiler when you add coffee to the feed water? Does the boiler keep going and going? I'm on to something. I just know...

Have a nice weekend

Christian Egli

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Christian, Where did you say this lake is at?

i may move there:)
  • Christian Egli
    Options
    Hi Weezbo

So that's how much coffee you need in the morning? 250 nanograms. The article does not say where the coffee lakes are, sorry. Starbucks still has us coming and going, it's probably where they get their water.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    The Norse had a God that had a cup that hed lash up to a ..

lake every nown then...maybe he drank down all the ale lakes and missed the coffee ones:)
  • Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Options
    A small solution!

I compost my coffee grounds. I also put the yellow water on the pile whenever I am in the vicinity. Great source of nitrogen, keeps the pile moist. Just got to watch my salt intake.
    SRD
  • Unknown
    Options
    coffee in a boiler??

Christian,

The coffee I brew has a freezing point of 22F, effective antifreeze AND cheap too. Seems the coffee is so excited it's not so easy to freeze but will also tranfer heat like water :-)

skw
  • Christian Egli
    Options
    Is that with cream?

That's absolutely fascinating, I never thought of measuring the freezing point of my coffee.

Something in my mind has become clear all of a sudden. When we were small, my brother and I had a pet rabbit, it lived in an outdoor cage and in the winter a foreman we had showed us to pour coffee and cream in the water bowl. We had freezing water problems but I didn't understand that at the time. 22F you say?

The rabbit did live a very long and healthy life, the diet was good! I also wonder what he did to the lake, they make a lot of fertilizer these bugs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    todays freeze point

My Starbucks coffee when read on my refractometer will freeze at 30F... higher then my home brew :-)

Tea with cream, 32F. (blows the milk theory)

skw
This discussion has been closed.