Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trying to find electric basboard

Options
Robert Rehm
Robert Rehm Member Posts: 9
I am remodeling and older home (1940) that has a combination of cast iron baseboard and cast iron radiators with the exception of the expansion bathroom that was added some time after the house was built (probably in the 1960's). This bath has electric baseboard. I am replacing it mainly because it was ugly. I am not satisfied with the baseboards that the home stores sell (i.e. Home Depot), they just look so cheap. Can someone recommend a company that sells nicer electric baseboard heaters? I would love to mimic the look of my 9" high cast iron baseboard. Thanks for your help.

Robert

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    There is no such thing as

"pretty" electric baseboard. Perhaps some "high-end" makers are out there, but the bigger question begs to be asked.

Why not switch what's there to CIBB or fin tube or a standing radiator?

It would cost a heck of a lot less to run!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert Rehm
    Robert Rehm Member Posts: 9
    Options
    forgive my ignorance

I don't know what you mean by CIBB or fine tube. I think I can answer your question with knowing what they mean. Basically, because I want to get moved in ASAP and am not that knowledgable about home/remodeling related things I may be making some bad decisions. I didn't think about changing the heating type. I just thought that because it was electric, it would be easier to keep it electric. It is too late now because I just had my ceramic tile set the other night and don't want to get myself into more work than necessary to get the plumbing into this room. Also I think because the room is only about 6'x10' that I will be able to keep the heat set at 55 or 60 and keep the door open and the electric will probably not come on. The closest radiator is about 5 feet just outside this bathroom.

So to summarize, I made my decision based on time schedule, lack of knowledge and lack of proper planning. I manage software projects for a living, but managing this remodeling project is a lot harder than I expected.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Robert

see the thread "Electric Panel radiators....." below. There are a couple of sites mentioned that might give you some ideas.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    I know the feeling...

CIBB means cast iron hot water (or steam) baseboard. Which I believe you said you already had some of.

Fin tube is a form of baseboard heat that can be steel and/or copper, finned and used for steam or hot water room heating, and may have been viable before the nearing of completion - which it sounds as if you're near.

If you have steam heat, the retrofit would be near impossible unless a riser and radiator is almost on the other side of where the new unit would go - in the adjacent room/hallway.

If you have hot water however, soft tubing (PEX or an equal) can be snaked readily by some creative means in most "difficult" cases. This would allow the installation of a heating component that would be lockstepped with the zone or entire house's heating system - not an independent "zone." Although, it is entirely possible through some TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) to actually make the bathroom somewhat independent of the entire remaining house's heating.

All in all, you may be stuck with what you have and since the wiring is already in place - as Martha says, "It's a good thing."

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Elec. B.board

Try W.W.Grainger. I don't known how pretty,but the do have a good selection. Also try a good electric supply house. As an option, how about a hot water kickspace heater such as Toester? It can be mounted on the wall or under cabinets at floor level totally hidden.
  • ernie_3
    ernie_3 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    baseboard

Too bad your timetable will be costing you a monthly bundle.
    Ceramic bits available to penetrate a hole to run pipe for baseboard. The cast iron baseboard is you best bang for your buck. :)
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options

Try electricheat.com
    They have RADIANT models.
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    electric baseboard

Try www.hydrosil.com
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
    Options
    ret rofit?

Is there access to underneath the floor from a basemnt or crawlspace to run new piping?

Is the system steam or hot water(do the radiators have 1 or 2 pipes going to them, if 2 is there anything but an elbow in the pipe without the valve?)

Does your utility offer a discount rate for electirc heat if you meter it seperately? Does it have a service charge that is more than any potential savings? Does seperate metering prevent you from buying electricity at a second setp higher rate?

You maight want to put electric back in now and convert to radiation if you have access from below(or perhaps above if its hot water).

Matt

Matt
This discussion has been closed.