Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Timmie McElwain

Options
Bill Nye
Bill Nye Member Posts: 221
Tim, would you ever consider Saturday or evening classes? My employer absolutely, positively, not even, will ever consider giving a day off for training.

I took two days off for Buderus school last Nov. [w/o pay] and my employer told my supply house he never wanted them telling me about any more damn schools !!!! true.

I know you are going to say people don't even show up during the week but I am wondering if there may be others like me who just want to learn.

Thank you for considering my request, Bill Nye.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Sad but very true!

That is why most of the seminars that I conduct are in the late afternoon and early evening or on Saturdays. I also find myself spending more of my time with individual companies at their place of business on their off hours with smaller groups. I enjoy doing these because it builds closer relationships! Hope this helps.

Glenn
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bill I would love

to do that but when I tried it I would get 10 people who said they wanted to come and when we sent out the flyers no one signed up.

Manufacuters of boilers and furnaces can do training from a different perspective than I do. They are training on their product, do not typically charge much for the training, and the trainer is on the payroll so numbers in attendance is not an issue.

We are now the training facility for the state of RI and will be running certification for gas liscenses in the evening. These will be for those in the apprenticeship phase of training. Those in attendance will be prepaid and can only miss two classes and they need this in order to become a journey man gas and eventually a Master gas.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Congratulations on that Tim,

I know how much work went into that worthwhile project. Still have to call you, been flat out, amazing! Seems like this past winter proved that we all really don't know everything!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Education is worth it.

When you have an employer that doesnt see eye to eye with you on education dont let his opinion be your only opinon,get a second opinion:) oh and keep your opinion to your self around him until it becomes his opinion:)......
    i encourage younger ladds with school is cool and dragging them off to class for a day with a coupla $ for gas kinda thing. i figure it gives them a break,lets them hear the same stuff from someone else(so i aint the bad guy all the time) :) and hey! we do get a chance to ask questions about New Inprovements and stradgies products that might not yet be available here. also its a time to ask questions of someone who spells things out step by step ...i think some times i dont explain why right off the bat, just ,watch me. do it this way.now you do it .ok .got it? and oh yeah what the %64#! ok we will do this again. :))
    Your education is like experience you can draw from,in class there may be guys who savey mucho and have certain specific ideas that are correct and you might hear something that the instructor has no real accurate answer for and he too gets a chance to learn something worthwhile.
    reading is excellent way to keep up on things and when you have a few books you can always find the information if it isnt floating around in your head at that momment. sharing information and communicating is part of being in this trade. one day you may Be Tim ,looking to the future wanting to convey the information and practises and resources with out any one stepping up to pick up the tools as it were.
  • Jeff Krawic
    Jeff Krawic Member Posts: 58
    Options
    training???? Whats that?? LOL

Hey Bill, havent talked to you in a dogs age! Now if you are interested, and there is something in my area of instruction, I would be happy to do a night class or 2 here at our office. Can be Honeywell linkageless, 7800 series, PowerFlame, Smith, etc. etc. Just give me a jingle and we can work it out kiddo. I'll say Hi to Rob for ya too. Phone here is 860-290-8696 from 7:30 to 5:00 I consider it an honor to be on a thread with George and Timmy!!!! (Bows down slowly) *SSSS*
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Jeez Bill,

Your boss sounds like the ultimate "industry visionary". Apparently, we're born with all the knowledge needed.

What a CROCK O'CRAP!

I'll quote our host, yet again. " The day you stop learning, is the day they plant you in the ground"

Unwillingness to train sounds like a "conflict of interest situation", to me. The more you know, the more your worth to the company. BOTTOM LINE!!! Your bosses unwillingness shows his IGNORANCE, and pig headed stubbornness to HIS thinking, that things never change. Good luck buddy.Chris
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Training

Unfortunately That is the rule rather than the exception. In 25 years I have only attended one paid training class during the day and that was mandated by our local municipality. I took off for unpaid training a couple times after I notified the boss beforehand of same, and heard about it from him for weeks afterward. His words were " No training in the world is worth you missing work." No one will invest in education. Too many of the worthwhile programs are during working hours. It's sad. Thankfully the RSES has evening sessions that are free.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Commitment to Training

It goes both ways. I have a number of companies that I do business with that send all of their employees to my seven (7) day seminar package. That is a $1,400 investment on the part of those owners plus they pay the guys for the days work. It is very interesting those same owners have a very successful business and the are prospering in business. They also have very good wage packages and benefits. There employee retention is also very good. I believe that trained employees are HAPPY employees. Knowledge sets you free to enjoy what you do, because you know what you are doing. Ignorance is like shackles around your mind that keeps you bound and frustrated.

I like what Dan says when people say, "If I train them they may leave" Dan says, "If you don't they may stay."
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    \"No one in our family was Born a doctor\"

This discussion has been closed.