Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heater Reset Button Trips

Options
jamie_8
jamie_8 Member Posts: 1
Hi,
I have a Bradford-White Electric Hot Water heater (50 galllons). It works well but about every other day the reset button trips and it stops making hot water. Once I press the reset it starts working again for another day or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Comments

• techheat_2
    techheat_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Probably

a bad element. Electricity is just about the worst way to make hot water, might be a good time to consider better options.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Paul
    Steve Paul Member Posts: 83
    Options
    water heater re-set

The thermal overload is most likely tripping due to reaching the high limit safety. This is a safety device that prevents extremely hot scalding water. It is not caused by a bad element. A bad element would cause less hot water not too high a temperature. You have a bad thermostat that is not shutting down at the preset temperature, it is causing overheating. The safest thing is to shut the power, lock it out and replace both thermostats.
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    Good advise.......

I would suggest taking it.
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    Good advice...

jamie I would suggest following his instructions.

John
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Minor correction.....

.....if an element is completely burned out, you are right that it won't cause the high limit to trip.

I have seen many times, however, elements that are "a little" bad, but not burned out. If the element develops a partial short to ground (the water in the tank), it can "bleed" current through portion of the the circuit that the thermostat does not switch, into the water. This creates a contstant heating effect, even if the thermostat is working properly.

You can tell with a continuity meter if this is happening.

Starch
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Wow, Thanks for that little tidbit, Starch

I work on electric WH and every time I have had a limit trip, I put new t-stat's on and it's been fine. But If you have seen what you stated above, I will be sure to check that in the future.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Reset

I agree, its probably the t-stat. Replace both. To check elements, take amperage readings on both. They should be about the same. If there is amperage when stat is satisfied, then replace that element as that would indicate the element "bleeding" as peviously noted.
  • John Starcher_4
    Options
    Just make sure...

that you read the amperage on the "unswitched" wire, not the one going through the thermostat

Starch
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    You serious??

Not trying to ruffle your feathers John, but in my 30 plus years of doing this, I've never heard of that. But it won't be the last time i've been wrong about electricity...

Can you draw me a picture of this phenom?

I'm just starting to hook up elements on electric water heaters for these Geo jobs we're doing.

I was always taught that elements were like light bulb elements. They're either good, or bad. Kinda like being pregnant. You either are, or you aren't:-)

Learn me up my friend, I needs the knawlidge;-)

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Starcher_4
    Options
    Ok, I'll try this....

....please excuse the crude artwork - I don't have a good drawing program!!!!

Starch
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    electric?

the thermostats may not or one of the thermostats may not be actually reading the tank temp,some times its because its "Floating" and not in directcontact with the surface of the tank.
  • Resetting electric thermostats

Jamie,

The symtoms you stated most likely is a thermostat issue (calibaration or operational issue). As stated in another reply, the power should be disconnected and the thermostat be replaced. Information regarding electric thermostats and elements can be faxed directly to you via our Bradford White Corporation fax on demand service. You can access this service by simply calling (888) 538-7833 and querying the appropriate Field Service Bulletins. For your reference, you'll want #107, 118, 119, 120 & 125.

Although rare, a grounded element can produce excessive water temperatures and will either trip the ECO (energy cut-off) in the upper thermostat or cause the termperature & pressure relief valve to open. To check for this condition, turn off power to the unit, disconnect the wires from the element, with your multimeter set to ohms, touch one terminal with one probe & touch the tank with the other proble. If you get a "closed" or low resistance reading, the element is bad and must be replaced.

I hope this helps. Should you have further questions are would like more information, please contact me via e-mail or feel free to contact Bradford White's technical service line at (800) 334-3393.

Regards,

Bradford White Corporation

Mark A. Taylor
    Director of Technical Surpport & Technology
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Amps

Agreed.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
  • Andy1201
    Andy1201 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Help

Hot water heater reset  button trips dailey.  Whats up?