Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart Valve

Options
I understand that several different manufacturers are no longer using it. They if my sources are correct are Armstrong, Burnham, and Laars. Anyone know of any others?

Comments

• Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Smart Valves

I know furnaces made by Inter City Products used Smart Valves, not sure if they still do. IMHO, gas valves shouldn't use logic, just open and closing is all they should do.

Steve M.
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Smart Valves

• Unknown
    Options
    I guess no one else has

heard anything about this????
  • Brian_24
    Brian_24 Member Posts: 76
    Options

Armstrong is phasing out of the smart valve but Concord and airease will still use it I am told. Something to do with comitments made to honney well to use the POS. I have been receiving some armstrong product with the new valve and ignition control. So far so good.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    What new valve are you seeing...

on Armstrong products? Just curious as I haven't seen anything yet.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Options
    If they are replacing them...

I'm curious what they are replacing them with. I haven't seen anything new on the Armstrongs yet, but we are in cooling season, and we sell mostly 2 stage units anyways Which don't use the Smart Valve.
  • Brian_24
    Options

They are still using a honneywell valve just nut the "dumb" valve. Just the plain old stard open when you tell it to valve. They are using an utec board bor ignition and blower control. Seems to be working out well so far. Not much run time on them yet.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Options
    Thanks, Brian

Considering how many of those Blue Sentry Smart Valves I've had "Crash", this sounds like a step in the right direction.
  • Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    Options
    PIA smart valves

Tim,
    Smith Boiler canned their use of the smart valve years ago. I was at a local wholesaler at the time, I sold one to a customer who had "phantom lockouts" all the time. They replaced it was another valve that had the same problem. I think at that time they got Honeywell involved.

Every now and then, if a wholesaler doesn't rotate his stock, I will run into one in the field. Smith has a replacement kit, the exact replacement valve doesn't come to mind right now, I think it is a step-opening valve.
  • Unknown
    Options
    What systems are you finding used

most on boilers and furnaces? I am interested in actual Names, Models etc. I am looking to upgrade our training equipment to make sure we are teaching all of the latest control systems.

I know for example that Fenwal has introduced a new Intermittent Pilot Gas Ignition control # 35-73.

Texas Instruments has introduced the DiagnosTech gas furnace integrated furnace control that will interface with a PDA (personal digitail assistant).

What else are you seeing?
  • Brian_24
    Options

I will get the actual part numbers monday when I get back in the office. Just ordered some stock for the latest series armstrongs. Also found out airease and concord dumprd the dumb valve.
  • marc
    marc Member Posts: 203
    Options
    BURNHAM

hopefully stops using the smart valve, we have had nothing but call backs on the smart valve, several customers on # 3 valve, i wish either burnham or honeywell would admit there is/ was a problem,mostly on the revolution or p series. marc
  • Unknown
    Options
    marc, exactly what

has been the problem you have been finding with SmartValve on Burnham?
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Tim...

...Supco is suppose to launch the "Smart Tester" in the fall.It can diagnose all the two plug Smart Valves,and the
    White Rodgers 50E47,50E50 & 50E55's and all the UPG furnace
    boards.(except for the old BGM/BGU's.)E-Mail jgraham or mthee@supco.com for more info.Thay are also looking for input to expand the tester to more manufactures control boards.
    Ranger
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ranger it will be interesting to

see what they come up with. My past experiences on testers for electronic components has not been good. Most are very costly and do not really make the job any easier for troubleshooting. Most of them are good for supply house use to prove if a board is good or not. I have found I can do much more and faster with a multi-meter. I am always open however to new and better ways to troubleshoot. I will e-mail them to see what they have to offer. Thanks.
  • joeoilman
    joeoilman Member Posts: 30
    Options
    burnham

clarence over at oiltechtalk.com is involved with burnham & honeywell both about smartvalve problems. he may be able to help you out.
This discussion has been closed.