Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pushing the envelope?

Options
Mark Eatherton1
Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
Ran into a problem I never thought I'd see. Not having enough tube and or manifolds to make it from one end of a building to the other, and back.

Using 600 foot rolls of PEX, we normaly limit our runs to 300 feet. However, it was 450 feet round trip, for one loop. It's an airport hanger, 15,000 feet. Not wanting to waste tube, we utilize 600 foot rolls and keep our circuits within 300 feet length. Usually...

So, I whip out my Hydronic Pros software and model the hanger using 600 foot circuits of 5/8" tube with an individual Grundfos pump pushing fluid for each manifold, and by golly, the math said it will work!

Just to be safe, I called Master Siegenthaler and ran it by him before we commited. He said he's done large open expanse warehouses with 500 footers 18 to 24" OC before and had no probelm, and that if his software said it should work, it WOULD work, so thats what were doing.

The guys spend much more productive time on the grade and less time worrying about breaking it off in time to get back to the manifold. Speaking of manifolds, there will be half as many ports as there would have been too.

The tube is 18" OC, and it IS a commercial building, so I don't think we have to worry about people walking around in their bare feet doing the "Ooooh, Ahhh" test on us.

In the future, I think I'd be tempted to do two heat losses on a building like this. One for the exterior 20 foot band, and one for the interior. Siggy said I could probably have gone to a 24" center with no problems in the middle.

As my good friend John Barba said recently in an article in the RPA Newsletter, "DO THE MATH!!".

You might be suprised what it tells you!

Thanks for the help John!

ME

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=88&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

This discussion has been closed.