Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When home owners get involved

Options
RB_2
RB_2 Member Posts: 272
From the U.S. Census Bureau...housing stats...only 3% of newly constructed homes built by contractors use steam or hot water....BUT - when the home owner gets involved it jumps to 11%! It gets better - Business Week reports over 90% of the decisions made as to what goes into these new home are made by the women....

Go ahead and take a few nanoseconds to think about whom holds a major influence on the growth of hydronics...then compare it to your old beliefs...READ THE FOLLOWING SLOWLY...

‘Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you find yourself on a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. You can try to change riders, you can organize a committee to study the dead horse, you can compare your dead horse to other dead horses in your industry, you can declare its cheaper to feed a dead horse, you can harness several dead horses together…but sooner or later you are going to have to dismount.’

JUST FOR IMPACT READ IT AGAIN OUT LOUD...

See attachment -show it to your wife, daughter(s), aunts, girlfriends and even grandma - then recruit them as your new sales force.

Comments

• BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    OR...

you can hand them a nice, warm, fluffy towel-directly off that hydronic heated towel rack. Did somebody say "SOLD"? Great point, Mr. Bean!
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Whenever

I'm on a sales call, I always listen to the wife's comments and tailor my comments accordingly. If he says something is too expensive or "we don't need that" and she indicates she wants the item, I know that following my departure, he'll be "convinced" and see the error of his ways. For the follow up call, it's important to let him say he's decided it was a good idea.

We only think we're in charge because they let us get away with that thought!(G).

Yes dear.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Rent or watch "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" some day. The Englishman's comments regarding women in American society seem timeless... [Movie from the 60s]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Great movie

First rule of Italian Driving... (breaks off mirror and tosses it)

Buddy Hacket, pilot

Spencer Tracey in his last role

Phil Silvers as a con man (what else)

Many many more.

Look for the "Big W"

Noel
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Robert and Bill,

My old Boss' first lesson in sales was to "make sure the woman of the house is around", when doing anything from placing thermostats, to adjusting the temperature of the hot water.(NEVER ask the husband if it's ok, she who MUST be obeyed, will have you back there in a flash!)
    Mr. Milne frequently quotes his old boss too. He'll listen to a customers complaint about how this never has happened before, and reply with...."But the horse never died before either". Chris
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

It's usually fairly easy to sell men on flashing lights, bells, whistles, fancy displays and high-tech control units. Even if they're not certain what they're doing, they like to think they do and it generally makes for good conversation.

Kind of a shame, because my favorite devices (TRVs and similar) don't come with any of the flashing lights and fancy displays. They're certainly high precision and do an incredible job of producing comfortable AND economical systems, but they just lack the flash....pity!

They seem hard to sell to everyone (many heating contractors included). That is until you experience or build one with full reset and constant circulation!
  • RB_2
    Options
    ...and this just in from my friends at CIPH

Good advice and stories from all....this just in from Elizabeth McCullough at CIPH

Hi Robert... Per our conversation the other day...1 more point for the girls!!!

Joanne Poirier named 2003 Salesperson of the Year
    by Wolverine Tube (Canada) Inc.

Joanne Poirier, field sales representative at Wolverine Tube (Canada) Inc., was named 2003 Salesperson of the Year at the company's recent annual sales meeting that took place in Carrolton, Texas. Covering the territory from Brockville, Ontario to St. John's Newfoundland, she outpaced all other reps in North America.

Thanks Elizabeth!

With all this girl power going on I've started a collection of these announcements and stories...will share with audiences across the country...keep sending them in...

By the way have any of you guys ever done a quick calculation as to how many women run our trade shows (Elizabeth at CIPH) , speak on our behalf to government regulators, (Constance at CIPH) organize educational programs (Judy & Teresa at RPA and Joanne & Lynn at HRAI), manage global educational institutes (Tanya at ASHRAE)...and how about industries powerhouse - the Wirsbo womens team...there's a good reason they're #1.

...and don't forget what Cindy Rea did a short while ago...

Thanks Cindy.

These ladies make a difference in our industry and can do marvelous things for your business. All you have to do is ask.

As Bob Polizzi from Cal Hydronics once paraphrased a VK quote, “Everyman lives in his wife’s home.”...

Thanks Bob - everytime my wife is about to give me a reality check...I think of those words!

yes Dave...it is yes dear...

[;@/
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Not to forget Judy Garber

that runs NAOHSM! I have spoken with, but never met, her. She has it going on! lots of testosterone to handle in that crowd :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    Options
    hey Robert

Does the RET after your name stand for retired?(G) :)~

Leo G

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    Underware reviewer!

Judy has talents that transend NAOHSM!!! She's the tops.

• Unknown
    Options
    Dave in my career

I have married quite a few folks. When the ceremony is finsished and the groom has kissed the bride I give them my final words of wisdom for the future.

It is as follows:

From now on sir you only need two words in order to keep peace and have happiness forever those words are "YES DEAR!!!"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Yea

But can she make a good cup of coffee ? (duck) Only kidding !

I like woman, allways have. I like dealing with the woman of the house. Your right, men like the bells and whistles, the mechanics of the system. Woman have a differnt perspective and it helps to talk to both and at seperate times :). Nothing like standing in a 8-5 bath with a couple who break into their third argument on a subject.

Some of my guys friends where talking about going into work as a break from the home. I told them, while you guys are work, I am at home with your wifes. :) I love it when I mention a small repair that we could do, or something her husband could and save some money. The wifes just shake's her head says " No no, Thats why your here." They really need to keep some shop classes at the schools, most of these guys don't know how to turn a screwdriver.

Your absolutly right " Yes Dear ".

Scott

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    Don't know bout the coffee, but Judy

is one heck of a great travel guide and companion. I had the honor of travelling to ISH last year with Judy, Dan and Bob Boltz along with a great group of men and several wives. One word of advice - never go shopping for underware with Boltz and Holohan.

• Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options

Exactly what my wife (of 23 years) sez...I can always have the last words as long as they are "YES DEAR"...

Hey, my Wife is a beautiful Greek Woman, comes from a family of chefs, a very good chef herself, when we sit down for dinner,I feel the whole neighborhood is coming over, and being that I have trouble cooking a hot dog...she's got all my attention:) and plenty of YES DEARS!

Bud
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    It's no

surprize that women can and do excel in sales. My wife can multi task in a wind storm and not miss a detail. My attention is lost when a pretty skirt goes by. Don't ask me to do more than one thing at a time. I could fall over. I always deal with the woman of the house when selling. In the end she is the one who has to be satisfied with the final product. WW

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    There's another super-woman I'll never forget...

Aside from everyone's Mom, that is.

At Danfoss, there is a woman who can handle more than any one I've ever met. I was invited to speak to the national sales force several years ago in Florida. Upon landing at the airport, I was being paged to pick up a courtesy phone. I was convinced someone must have died or been seriously injured at home. Instead, the message was from Aneta & with instructions to not go to the original hotel, but to go to one in another part of the State. Upon arrival, we found the Danfoss area with exhibits & conference area all set up.

It wasn't until a few hours later that I'd learned what had transpired that day. The IRS had arrived unannounced at the first location and seized the property. In the process, they locked up all of the Danfoss materials. One crew was golfing and the gal who had delivered cold drinks pulled up on her cart to say there was a problem.

In the span of something like two hours, Aneta managed to get the IRS to unlock the buildings, found an alternate site and had everything moved and set up so that their conference could go forward uninterrupted. If she hadn't told me that just a few hours earlier they'd been negotiating the release of their materials, I'd have never known!

PS - Don't ask me what the gent from Calgary was drinking in the way of beer - I'm sworn to secrecy(G). Think about really big horses playing football.

• RB_2
    Options
    ..the hallowed halls of corporate heroism.

What an amazing recovery that women pulled off...to this day Aneta and the Florida sales meeting is my favorite story about what a women can do in a few hours under pressure...not only did she have to deal with the Sheriff and IRS and moving of an entire function to a new resort - she had not one but two separate functions on the go...then in the midst of all of this we had an 'incident' with the driver of our bus...the crew on board included our North American representatives and executives from global Danfoss, Denmark...needless to say Aneta once again pulled a rabbit out of her hat, fired the transportation company, and hired us a new driver and bus all within hours.

The beauty of the whole thing is the second crew coming in had no idea of what was going on because it was handled flawlessly and those in the first batch were in awe of how it incredible Aneta dealt with the challenge…and because she was up for the challenge everyone around her basically said – “lets turn this into a great experience!”

Would she want to go through it again - NO!

Did she impress the hell out of everyone - YES!

That day Aneta moved into the hallowed halls of corporate heroism.

There should be an award named after her...The Aneta Stevens Award for Corporate Recovery...or how to come out looking like a rose when you've just been dragged through the thorns!

Dave thanks for the reminder...I'll never make you play the girls role again!

rb
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    Dang it!

I bought a new dress for ISH! With Rich sandwiched between our presentations, I thought he could give me away(G).

• Unknown
    Options
    I have always said

a women is the neck that turns the head. Now fellas let us not be stupid and cut our throats.

I have known many a good women in corporate life who kept most of the stubborn men out of trouble with their ability to handle problems when all the men were getting upset. I had one who was my secretary when I worked for the gas company. I do not know what I would have done without her.

Now that I am in business for myself I am glad my wife is able to fill that some function, among other things.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    First rule

in italian driving" is from the Gumball rally...not mad,mad,world. ( I got em on tape, along with a bunch of others like blazing saddles, young Dr. frankenstein, all those great fun movies you don't see today.)

Mike
This discussion has been closed.