Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity Hot Water System

Options
Ken Ebers
Ken Ebers Member Posts: 8
A friend is installing a brand new gravity hot water system! Can you imagine in this day and age? Does anyone have experience in design of this type of system? The Contractor wants to pipe the supply and return into the same end of a 96" radiator. I know this won't work with forced circulation but will it work with gravity??

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

I don't think so, even with supply coming from the top. Do they have a stash of Honeywell "Unique" valves or something?

Obviously a big budget or inexpensive access to big pipes and big threader!
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,324
    Options
    information

I've just finished a gravity radiant system in the walls. It even works :) The only source for sizing info I could find was the old books. I'd add that you REALLY need to consider flow restriction and air elimination... I'd avoid going in and out the same end of the radiator. Why take that risk? Let me know if I can help.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Hey Larry

GREAT to hear that it works!!!!! Your designed seemed sound in principle and I [thought] it would work as planned, but it was different enough that even you didn't seem 100% certain of success...

You couldn't be more right when saying that flow restriction and air elimination are of UTMOST importance when it comes to gravity systems!
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yes it will...

and through the same bottom opening...but you will have to field fabricate a dip tube inside a larger tee fitting..picture a 1/2'' dip tube inside a 1'' tee fitting..supply goes threw the 1/2 straight run of the tee, and out the dip tube at the other end of the radiator, and return around the dip tube and out the bull of the tee..hope this helps..by the way the original factory fitting for this was called a ''circulating coupling'' and is from about circa 1900.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.