Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Risky Living?

Options
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but did any of you read Dan's article in PM Engineer:

http://www.pmengineer.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2732,124159,00.html

where he talks about a contractor in Long Island who installs PEX in the slab for free. Read the article and see if you think it's a good idea. I think it is.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=53&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    This approach works...

... right up to the point where the HO calls a second installer to hook up the PEX instead. That way the HO gets the PEX and most of the install for free. This hasn't happened to the first installer mentioned in the article, but there is always the risk...

I also suppose it depends a bit on how much cash you have lying around to tie up in people's basements while you wait for your marketing magic to do its trick. This could be pretty expensive, depending on how many installs/month you do. If successful though, it could be a great means of increasing business and customer satisfaction.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    My problem with it as well..................................

The other thing to mention is slab insulation and wire mesh to throw down as well as the PEX and ties...slab sensor anyone? IT could add up. I like the thinking, and I will try it , but I'll be selective. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    I've made the offer

To people building their own house before. I told them I'd put the tubing and insulation in free if they signed a contract for me to come back in 5 or 10 years to install the system. If someone else does the install, they owe me for the tubing, etc.

No takers yet....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    There are methods

to allow only the installer of that tubing the means to make it work :)

Any other contractor would need to know the "lock" code :)

Those can be quite expensive!

hot rod

• Steve Minnich_1
    Steve Minnich_1 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Not Me

Maybe I've been hardened too much by life, but I just wouldn't do it unless it were for my parents or my daughters. Heck, my parents could even call my brother whose also a heating contractor in the SW burbs of ChiTown.

When you lose money on a job or jobs, it takes a heck of alot of profit to make up for that loss. I've spun my wheels enough to know that I don't like it.

Too cynical?

Steve M.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    The guy

closed 100 percent of the business in one of the most competive markets in America.

Guts.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steve Minnich_1
    Options
    Dan

Closing is easy when you're giving away the farm. Was he profitable?

Steve M.
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    Options
    interesting

the statement that the labour to put the tubing down in the slab is minimal. if this is the rich area, how much square footage in the basement? i know some of the homes we have been in have taken 2 men 3 days to install the tubing.

does this contractor take the time to do a proper heatloss? what about the time to assemble all the material?

what is the "other" system that he offers? forced air through a fan coil? or furnace? or baseboard? if the slab prep has not been levelled for the styro, how does he get the contractors to get on side with him, to dig the basement out deep enough for the styrofoam? does he supply and install the styro and mesh? or does he get the contractor to do this?

i can fully understand the psychology. it makes perfect sense, and i would be quite surprised if you were the original installer and got along with the contractor and homeowner, if you did not get the phone call. i find the details of how he sets this up quite sketchy. which i guess you would expect, as he doesn't want to give his system away.

i tried this on some of my builders when we did both plumbing and heating. same thing, labour and pex free. though they had to prep the slab. not one of them were interested!!! wouldn't even mention it to the homeowners.

now that we are only doing hydronicing, this never comes up anymore, as obviously, if we are on the job, the client has already decided on heated basement floors!

Leo G

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Not sure if you saw the column, Steve.

He installed the tubing for free, even though the clients didn't want radiant. He told them that anytime they wanted the floors to be warm all they had to do was call him and he would make it so. All of these clients were well-to-do and knowing that those cold floors could be warm during that first winter drove them crazy.

Every one called and every one went for the upgrad within the first year. He charged for the tubing and everthing else at that point. And, yes, he was very profitable on every job.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steve Minnich_1
    Options
    Sweet!

He deserves alot of credit for making it work.

I need to be beaten over the head a few more times before I'd give it a try:)

Steve M.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    The thing

that makes the rich folks want the big house is the same thing that makes them want the warm floor, especially when they know they can have it with a phone call. During the original construction, they're spending a ton of money and they have their guard up against what they perceive at frivilous extras. Once the job is done and they're enjoying all the comforts which they richly (pun intended) deserve, they begin to realize that all's well, except for the freezing tile floors. At this point, the cost of finishing the project seems small. It's all relative.

This guy knows how to sell to selfish people.

Retired and loving it.
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Rich guys

in California must be different than rich guys on Long Island. Most of them are lawyers and are cold-blooded. They don't need no damned heat.

This discussion has been closed.