Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crummy copper tube!

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
to me. This tube seems to delam or something when I bend or T-drill it.

Maybe it's a laminete like Pergo flooring or something! A cheap tin core with copper coating to keep costs down :)

It's a Howell brand, (Thurston Howell from Gilligans Island perhaps :) New to me, I usually get Streamline or Muller.

I'll see if they sent the good stuff overseas with the steel :)

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Great picture

You should send this to the Copper Development association. Quality control is getting shakey for alot of things, looks like the mix from the foundry was contaminated or the extruder was really being pushed faster than normal. Did you mic the wall thickness? Another good reason to have a wholesaler that supports you.
  • hr
    Options
    It's a real hand ripper also

I'm headed to the wholesaler this AM to chat.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    Bad batch?

I didn't think bending tempered was made any longer or even allowed by code. What's the grade? Looks like a bad batch...Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

You [might] be able to determine if the fault was in the extrusion or in the copper itself by annealing.

Heat to red, cool with water and try the curvo/t-drill again.

If it works as normal the problem was likely in the extrusion process, if it's no better (or even worse) it's likely the copper itself.

Sulphur and bismuth both [seem] to be contaminates that will make the copper brittle.
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    OLDER COPPER

Older copper gets brittle and I believe you are supposed to anneal the copper prior to the pull as stated above. Quality of copper that is mined in South America and refined in Mexico has had problems in the past. We have seen a great amount of underground type 'L" failures during the past 8 years.
    The flaking or "Croissant" look of this copper makes one think it was a refining problem. These sort of quality control problems can be nightmares for contractors. We have replaced no fewer than 6 underground water lines in slab construction. The apt. complex is less than ten years old.
    The up side is that it makes "Wirsbo" and other quality products much easier to sell.

Good post thanks!

MP 1969

P.S. Was this soft copper???
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    seen it

before here in Canada if its a soft drawn type. Was sold under the name " handyman" tubing. Can't even flare the stuff. cracks and splits all the time. Haven't seen it in a while tho
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    :)

Looks like its getting too much Oxygen.:) never seen this before? ( Baseboard thin fin :) I'd throw it back...let it swim free:)
  • hr
    Options
    Thanks again, all

This is brand new, type L, ridgid copper. It has areas of flaking all along the length even before I form or T-drill it.

A bad batch, or bad length for sure. Back it goes.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • sw_3
    sw_3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    K

I thought type K was for underground .. not L???
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Copper

I would be real surprised if it wasn't imported. I have had similar problems with foreign made stuff. It would split when flaring or cutting. I agree, it probably is not annealed properly. Buy American.
This discussion has been closed.