Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A question I forgot to ask at Burnham

Options
wanted me to ask this question , but it slipped my mind when we were there during Wetstock - how come the V8 and RSA line of boilers do not come with an air elimination tapping ? Space is usually at a premium and room for a good air elimination device in the supply piping is minimal on most of our installs . Granted , most of our homes are simple 2 zones of baseboard , with the circs on the supply pumping away and a good purge , there really is no need for an air scoop in my opinion - just a 1/8 inch air can usually does the trick . But for those problem installs , I sure wish there was a direct air elimination tapping in the boilers.

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    Dunno the answer

to that Ron. It looks to me like they have all done away with em.

All the best,

Robert
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not yet

The Weil Mclain Gold , Peerless ECT , WBV , and the Thermo Dynamics boilers still have them , and by personal experience they all work very well eliminating air . I've been hearing about mixed results from the way I pipe the Burnham boiler for air elimination so we might switch to airscoops soon . You know of a small clearance scoop ?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ron

I answered this one a while back when someone else brought it up. The baffle in the top of the casting basically disappeared many years ago when the V-1 series was phased out. The reasons were two-fold. First, more often than not, folks were using air scoops to mount the expansion tanks and suspended basement style expansion tanks have all but disappeared on newer installations.

Second, there are stipulations in the ASME code regarding a dedicated tapping and related fittings serving ONLY the relief valve on hot water boilers. This pretty well rules out installing anything else to this tapping and nipple. I have the part of the code that describes this in my office in RI, but I am in Upstate NY and won't be back until Sunday. I'll be glad to e-mail you with the verbage then. Hope this helps.
  • Robert O'Connor_6
    Robert O'Connor_6 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    I agree they

work well!!
    No argument.

Spirovents can be installed right on a 90.

All the best

Robert

ME
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yep , it does

Once again , you ask a specific question about the Burnham line and Glenn is there answering within minutes . The best customer service for any product I have ever dealt with - heating and everything else .

I believe the Peerless MI line might be showing diagrams that are against ASME code then - they have a 3/4 tapping on top used for air elimination and the relief valve .

If it isn't a bother , could you send me the specific code ? No hurry . There are situations where we have to use the same tapping for air elimination and relief . Thank you very much Glenn .
This discussion has been closed.