Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Blueray bites it

Options
that leak prematurely ( 30 years or less ), the Blueray BY is the most common we see . They always leak near the transfer tubes and fluepipe . Notice the Riello still had the tiny filter on it too . We've been installing that burner a long time .

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Burnham V83

And the packaged Riello - the blue cover matches the boiler much better than ol' red .

It took us a good amount of time to position the boiler as far back as possible , level it , and to get the piping 1/2 way decent , including increasing the main zone to it's original 1 1/4 inch size . The homeowner arrived right before we light it off and his first comment is how come we didn't turn the boiler like the other one was ( wide open unfinished basement ) . And the 2nd was how come we didn't tag the valves ( our service dept. carries the tags ) . Oh yeah , and to top it off , the homeowner's dad in law backed into my van right when I was leaving . Didn't take pics of that though .
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    question

ok..two question's. first why no mixing valve on that coil?? Second, why a pressure relief valve on the domstic water? And can't ya be a nice guy and tag the valves, in law might not have backed into ya if you had tagged it..:) J/K
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    What he said:)

Very clean boys.In laundry areas do you ever use the BF for fresh air in,Ron?I know you are the machine that puts em in.But the headman is boning up to liabilities:)

cheese
  • Unknown
    Options
    Answers

1st - the mixer is right there , right below the LWCO . And the pressure relief valve on the domestic is there to relieve pressure . Self explanatory .

2nd - We did tag it temporarily using the old tags , till the service dept does their annual tuneup . And yeah , I can be a nice guy , I always go beyond what the contract states we will do . It's just disheartening when the owner seems to not appreciate the work we accomplished . Because the sad fact is that most new installs we see here look like Mad Dog's before pics under the title " The builder special " .
  • Unknown
    Options
    That basement was wide open

I mean WIDE . No reason to run fresh air to the boiler unless he boxes it in . By the way , did they fix the problems with the post purge on the BF yet ? Thanks alot Cheesy .
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Ron

The BF is back and operational!I use em when I'm in a lint area.My knees still knock for direct venting oil:)

cheese

PS you going to wetstockV?
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Praise the Lord!!!!

Another abomination bites the dust!

Anyone ever get the "opportunity" to work on the "blue flame" version of this POS? NOT PRETTY is the only way I could describe it. Factory reps, and salesmen couldn't stop me from assuming liability , if only to stop the service calls on this fiasco. My old boss, who had one for a table on his sunporch for 15 years,(noone would buy it) was the only one I ever saw install a second one. (Hey... it was there)

Good ridence! Hey Ron. nice install. The service dept. will love you. Chris
  • lchmb
    Options
    ok just asking

I have read previous of the issue of insufficient hot water and not wanting to mix with a mixing valve, but sorry, that's scary. JMHO. no anti scald..yike's. as to the pressure relief valve if water pressure is an issue why not use an expansion tank? I only ask to understand and learn, not trying to upset anyone...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Naa , I'm not upset

I've been posting pics of my jobs for years here , believe me I'm thick skinned . The pressure relief isn't an add-on to a preexisting symptom , it's just one of those things the code enforcers look for , no matter what . We had a job fail recently because there wasn't one on a coil hooked into an aquabooster - the aquabooster had a 40XL in it .

As for the hand mix - It's the norm here on Long Island where coils are King . Literally hundreds of thousands of boilers are piped in this manner , and if there was a real scary situation going on , the practice would've been stopped decades ago .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wetstock

I sure hope so . The company was great in picking up my tab for Baltimore , I hope they won't mind another trip .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Never saw the Blueflame

But I talk to some servicemen who did , and " not pretty " is putting it quite mildly .

Overall , with the Beckett or Carlin burner , these units were pretty efficient . It's a shame about the manufacturing defect - the heavy steel coulda lasted a long time . " Not fun " is the term I use to dscribe getting them out of the basement . The roll bars that sit on the ground just catch the ends of the handtruck , and if it shifts when you lift the whole boiler tilts sideways .

At least the coil is heavy and theres always plenty of scrap copper from these jobs . Thanks Chris .
  • lchmb
    Options
    two state's over..LOL

kinda weird, here in New Hampshire it would fail with the hand mix and the pressure relief valve would just get weird look's..:) LOL thank's for the answer's though.. btw..made the mistake of driving through New York, OMG how do you folk's live like that..LOL.. :) nice job also!! ..sorry didn't say that earlier
  • Unknown
    Options
    Where in NY did you drive through ?

Don't tell me the Cross Bronx in rush hour ?
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Anti Scald

No ballvalve between the water feed and the system? I guess that's not a biggie. No tempering valve on a coil...CRAZY!
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Nice job

Another great install. What aquastat control is that?
  • lchmb
    Options
    I think

we were on 95 on a Sunday afternoon and a couple mile's prior to the George Washington bridge we ran into traffic jam's...On a Sunday??? what a ride...next time I sneak back through Mass..LOL
    And to think were I live there isn't even a traffic light.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thats a Honeywell 4081B

Thank you Todd .
  • Unknown
    Options
    The shut off valve is there

in the 2nd pic , up high on the piping ( that is a biggie ) . No tempering valve on a coil is crazy , huh ? Well , we're looking into that issue right now , thanks for the comments EJW .
  • EJW
    Options
    Not trying to be a pain

I see the valve before the feed, I didn't see one after it. It's nice to have at feeder replacement time. EJW
  • Unknown
    Options
    I hit the same jam

around the same time coming back from Wetstock in Massachussets a few years back . 4 hours drive with a hangover - I shoulda took the ferry .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yeah , good point

We do have shutoff valves on the feeds and returns for each zone , and the PRV is piped above the boiler , so it ain't that bad to change without the extra valve . If we had to install a valve for every contigency , this and every other install would be a 2 day job - never happen here . This was my 3rd boiler this week , another one tomorrow . I can't wait for Friday - I got the day off to do some camping . Take care EJW
  • EJW
    Options
    It is a nice lookin job

Enjoy the weekend. EJW
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

Does the HO understand that you cannot service this boiler with the right side against a wall?????
  • Unknown
    Options
    He understood

when I explained it to him ( in the manual , the side cleanouts are optional , but optimal for thorough cleaning ) . Then he asked why we did not turn the boiler the other way . I explained that positioning the boiler this way makes servicing a snap , and if we turned it sideways it makes it so much harder to work on everything close to the wall . I did not say anything about him not being there to tell us exactly where he wanted it .

By the way - he had a water distiller down in the basement for a separate drinking water tap at the kitchen sink . I remember reading that distilled water is not a good idea for drinking ?
  • Patchogue Phil_22
    Patchogue Phil_22 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Basement Water Distiller?!!

Wouldn't the water contain whatever is also floating around in the basement?

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Nice Job Pal

pssst ( anti-scauld )

Keep at em Ron, it is Code here in Mass. That job would'nt fly at all.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    RIP

Looks like a Blue Ray 2 .....Not many 1's left out there...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lchmb
    Options
    :)

I'll stick with a town that after 9 p.m. goes to sleep..LOL. Nice job on the boiler!! Keep up the good work!
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

The manual REQUIRES an automatic mixing valve for this boiler. You are correct about the options for cleaning in the manual. I was remembering the label on the boiler itself that reads "for proper cleaning"...

Ken
  • Unknown
    Options
    Once again

I said we are discussing the issue at the shop . By the way , I did some research online about how many oil fired boilers there are on Long Island , and I was shocked . Almost 250,000 oil fired boilers in Nassau County , and almost 300,000 in Suffolk . I would guess around 75% of them have a coil and simple hand mixer .
This discussion has been closed.