Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk Quantum Circulator size ?

Options
MikeAR
MikeAR Member Posts: 15
Does anyone know what brand or size of circulator comes with the Quantum Q90-150? I can't seem to find anything in their literature, and need to know if it will work with my old gravity system (approx. 150 gallons). I was also wondering if it would be best to have the circ. run continuously or come on with the boiler.

Thanks

Comments

• Mark Z
    Mark Z Member Posts: 1
    Options

Mike,

The Quantum series boilers come with a taco 007, I would suggest contacting me directly to be sure the pump is correct for your application

Mark Ziemba,
    Technical Service,
    Dunkirk Boilers,
    (716) 366-5500
  • R. Kalia
    R. Kalia Member Posts: 349
    Options
    amateur opinion

The Taco 007 does not move enough water for a converted gravity system, and its curve is too steep. You need a lower-head, higher-flow pump like the B&G series 100 or Taco 0010. But you should get a professional opinion first.

IF you have only one zone, have the pump run all the time and use the thermostat to switch only the boiler on and off. If you do this you don't need outdoor reset, you will reach and hold the right water temperature automatically (leave the aquastat at 180 as a second safety limit but it will never get there). This should work particularly well in a high-mass (e.g. converted gravity) system: you'll get increased efficiency from sending all warm water to the radiators, compared to allowing some just-heated water to sit and cool in the pipes when the circulator goes off.

Again, my advice is only worth what you paid for it.
This discussion has been closed.