Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Substitute For Quality Workmanship

Options
Larry_7
Larry_7 Member Posts: 86
Had to post this. Just a hint of what the rest of the job looked like. Three consecutive roof trusses hacked for the handler to fit, no secondary drain, no glued condensate line joints, water splashing on the floor in boiler alcove kind of close to the floor drain, foot through the ceiling, crooked t-stat, etc...Alas.

Larry

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Options
    Is that what I think I see???

Maybe they were going for true divided light? UN! BELIVABLE! What else can you say?? ...Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Someone must be paying them EXTRA for That!

I am forming an opinion that you guys have neighbours who are dangerous to your health,and are unquestionably suicidal.what good are fire safety codes when there seems to be such strong objection to self preservation?
    ...my other opinion that seems to be forming itself into the light this type of work seems to have given the term "Crack Plumber" an entirely new meaning:)
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    And

the blinds are closed.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    hee hee !

that condenser will be quiet as a mouse, even next to that window :)

Looks like they got shorted on the "good, fast or cheap" deal, they only got one option.
  • Unknown
    Options
    window

I'm surprised they ran the electric up the wall when there is probably an outlet just through the window :-)

Everyone knows a 20ft extension cord is cheaper then a fused cut off box and a 6ft whip :-)
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks.! Anyone want to bet..

It was installed by the lowest bidder..? No doubt in my mind.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Well........

it is a Ducane.

They got exactly what they paid for, only I bet they didn't know that this is what they were paying for.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options
    It looks like...

an assist handle for egress from the window. Kind of like a fireman's pole and the condensor unit is to break up the fall distance to ground in an incremental step. If this were in my town... I could name that installer in one note. Is that duct tape securing the liquid tight and line set together?
    Greg
  • Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options

• Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options

This is to funny...Musta been a do it yourself tip for the Home D gang. I'm sure it is a fire code issue...

Bud
    www.thesheetmetalshop.com
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    I can show you

lots of matching B-vent. Elbows cost money, ya know ! This guy probably bought a package deal from a home center with a 15 ft lineset and quick-connects.

See, it ain't so hard :)
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
    Options

I didn't know they made the quick connect pre charged deals anymore. My mom has one of those...installed by a contractor in the 80's, his work is neat and he was good with working with the materials, but looking at his work knowing what i know now, he didnt' get the engineering. He buried heat ducts in the slab of an addition, didn't insulate the ducts, didn't insulate the ductwork, addition is always cold. Anyho, the lineset doesn't sem to have ahd the right charge for the condenser and evaporator it was matched to. Can hear refigerant gurgling at liquit line near the evaporator, seem to recall its always been like that, don't see any oil at any of the fitings. I think it should be retrofited with a TXV and sight glass though propper charging would go a long way I think. The printing bleached off the ratings plate within the first few years. Its a luxaire btw...built like a tank (but a tank would be quieter) but not engineered very well.

Matt
  • Larry_7
    Larry_7 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Follow -Up

Yeah that job was sure a hack. Too much stuff to list really. The resolution fails to show the unglued conduit 90 pulled apart from the run down the wall...about 2" of exposed wiring. We were there to repair a gas leak that mysteriously developed while the job was nearing completion...yes it's nearly complete. Our hunch was that when brother/helper put foot through the ceiling the exposed gas line in the attic broke the fall but cracked a tee behind the wall in boiler alcove. A true comedy of errors to say the least. Sadly though, the customers have no idea what has happened to them. I don't go anywhere without the digital cam anymore.

Take care
    Larry
This discussion has been closed.