Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

fresh air intake riello

Options
oil-2-4-6-gas
oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
i just installed a Buderus 115/34 with a riello 40 f5 --it's in a location where there is a lot of dust and lint--the typical basement laundry w/pets --i want to cut a hole in the side of the cover and run a fresh air intake --i'm wondering if i need 3inch or 4inch--it will be 2 90's and 6 feet of aluminum and a vacuum breaker --

Comments

• John@Reliable_9
    John@Reliable_9 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    The Riello BF has............

a 3" opening on top. But you will find vacuum breaker is 4". So I guess I would just use 4" for everything or better yet is to get a BF burner that is maded for what you want to do. You would have to seal openings on back of burner to force air into other opening and I bet if anything was to go wrong it would all be on you for sealing up air intake reguardless that you did offer air somewhere else. Just like the BF can make just about any boiler a direct vent boiler but unles the boiler maker said it can ,it can't. hope this helps John@Reliable
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    I agree with John,

the BF would have been easier, but you own that one now. You can use the cover, close the slots and it is okay, I've been doing and teaching it for 29 years, FACT!

BTW, leave the breaker out of the problem room and probably the whole equation. Unless it is away from the problem, the stuff will just get in through the vacuum breaker anyways.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    Options
    its a little late to change burners

the unit has been in operation for 2 weeks --- it was a floor model at the supply house so i didn't have an option--it was a deal i couldn't pass up $800 cash for the boiler and burner so i'm going to cut a 4inch hole and seal up the intake and other openings
  • Joe@buderus
    Joe@buderus Member Posts: 165
    Options

When a Riello Burner is used for direct vent on the Buderus Boiler a 3x4 increaser is sent so that 4" pipe can be used for the fresh air intake.
    I would suggest consulting with Riello with regards to warranty. In the past, Riello has expressed the warranty is void if the cover is field modified for fresh air intake.

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    Options

as far as warranty goes if there is a major problem with the burner i can easily get a cover from either the supply house or another company ----i will definetly have problems with the burner in its location without the fresh air intake --or i could clean the blower wheel and burner assy. every three months(thats not going to happen)
  • Joe@buderus
    Options

The burner chassie and cover are different for the Riello with fresh air intake than a standard Riello.
    This is just a FYI only. Please don't take as policy, stance or arguement.
    Thanks,
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    Options
    Joe

what does that have to do with anything i know the Bf is different i have the f5 its wired and operational -it was a package deal and it now has a sealed cover w/a 4inch hole with fresh air intake connected--Riello 40 f5-modified,, actually after talking with a few installers i know they have done it more times than they can count ---
  • Joe@buderus
    Options

You are correct. I was just stating the burner cover and burner chassie for the fresh air intake are different than a standard burner cover/chassie.
    I was asked by a contractor if he made the modifications as mentioned above would it effect the warranty.The response from Riello was this type of modification will void the warranty. There was no explaination offer to me. Just passing info along.
    Maybe Riello could provide input so we all can know.
This discussion has been closed.