Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Pipe Hangers

Options
gehring
gehring Member Posts: 65
I was reading in another thread about not mixing copper with steel pipe due to the battery-type corrosive result (which I understand), but my question pertains specifically to external pipe hangers. I have some steam lines that have been hung with copper strapping (like you would see on water lines). Is that external type of application also a risk for corrosion?? Should I replace the copper strapping with steel? I cannot see any visible sign that anything advesre has occured (at least not on the outside of the pipe).

Comments

• Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
    Options

It can be a risk under certain dampness conditions but isn't likely. You can use some sort of plastic or rubber sheet(or even cardboard) between the 2 to insulate them if you're worried about it. I've seen plastic diped steel hangers for copper pipe, but most copper colored hangers I have seen are just copper plated steel(which tends to rust because the tendency of the cell is to protect the copper and disolve the iron. It is the opposite of galvinizing.).

Matt
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Exactly!

Don't get crazy...the strap would rot off before the pipe ever would , Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    clevis hangers

doesn't any one use clevis hangers anymore??? for steam work they cannot be beat and last forever.easy to work with and adjustable.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    I use them when they are paying for them

I agree Bob, cannot beat "cleavage" hangars as we used to call 'em. One of the most important t'ings I learned the first few years is to "stop giving it away.." . I always gave everyone "the works" whether I was making $$$ or not. Now, I usually give them a basic or deluxe package - their choice. Otherwise, people are comparing apples and oranges when they guage us against the others. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.