Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman vs Comfort Maker

Options
DennisDe
DennisDe Member Posts: 16
Some folks do not consider Goodman when it come to HVAC equipment, however, I am looking at a basement installation and need equipment that will do a reasonable job for time that I will spend downstairs. I am considerating the Goodman for pricing purposes, however the Comfortmaker seems to be alone the same price line. Is there any quality difference between Goodman and Comfortmaker. Second If I have an option to install a TXV/TXZ should I have it installed. Lastly does it make a difference if the furnance and condensing unit is mismatch in brand

Comments

• don_28
    don_28 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Goodman

or comfortmaker will do if you are shopping price.That is
    as long as you have someone who can put it in properly.

Do not mismatch system,it void warranty in some cases.
    Txv is the only way to go.If you want the coil to be fed
    with the load its seeing.
    But then again a piston will do just fine,if price is a issue.

Dont forget to address the most important part of your system,that being the distribution system.If not right,it
    will not matter what brand you put on it..they will all perform badly.Good Luck.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

The mid and high efficiency Comfortmakers use Copeland Scroll compressors, as do many other brands I believe.

As I understand the brand history, Comfortmaker used to be Singer and is now owned Carrier.

Distant relative of mine is in wholesale/retail plumbing (3rd generation in the business) and even still has a "mom and pop" type hardware store--last one I know of in the entire area. Singer was the only brand he carried for years until Comfortmaker replaced and he insists that they are both a good value and of good quality--particularly those with the Copeland Scroll compressors. I see lots of really old Singers around here...

This could very well have something to do with our climate. Extremely hot, humid summers. Most around here still shy away from the extremely high efficiency condensing units claiming that the required evap coils do not deal well with our humidity.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Installer is much more important

Regardless of brand, the installer is the most important thing - even the zealots on either side of the long, quasi-religious debate whether Goodman is the Anti-Christ of the AC industry over at HVAC-Talk agree on this.

The reality is that most AC's share a lot of components, controls, etc. so at the builder level (i.e. lowest cost) they are pretty much alike. Higher-end units try to differentiate themselves a bit more (i.e. the Lennox super-quiet HSX-15 series, Carrier Inifinity system, etc. )

If you see yourself using the AC a lot, consider getting a unit with a TXV, it usually increases efficiency one notch. I'd go with a 401A-refrigerant based system to future-proof it. Copeland scrolls also have a good reputation for longevity and noise. All of these features can be found on a Goodman.
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    I'd consider

Comfortmaker a notch up on Goodman. Neither would be my top choice. With Comfortmaker you can get their premium 10 SEER with a scroll where Goodman offers scroll only at 12 SEER. Comfortmaker's evaps are coming from Mexico, probably the same factory that makes Carriers which seem to be the worst at leaking. Goodman is using a tubular heat exchanger based on Amana technology. They're still behind on electronics though.

Key is proper size & installation. Both seem to be scarce these days.

One post mentioned R410a. Goodman does not offer that except in an Amana. TXVs are scare with Goodman too. In the past, high SEER was only rated with gigantic evaps with piston meter. I believe they are finally starting to rate with "normal" sized coils and TXVs.
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    goodman

Just got back from the Goodman factory tour. They have bought Amana and starting in July their furnace will be an Amana without the stainless steel heat ex. If you look at their 13 SEER condensers with their warranty they are TOUGH TO BEAT. They are making MAJOR improvements to their whole line including the color. They will soon be greyish
  • Al_11
    Al_11 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    goodman versus comfortmaker

No comparison, Goodman is the bottom of the ladder, Comfortmaker up around a 7 or 8. A good tech can install either unit and it will work for you just fine. Down the road you will definately have more repairs and issues with the Goodman.
    Al
  • AirGuy
    AirGuy Member Posts: 2
    Options

usually any unlicensed hack can buy a Goodman, in that I believe is the problem. These problems happen with all brands my usually with the cheap ones the most. No filters/dryers, no air filters, they were never vacuumed down, wrong sized lines, not even close to being level, screws not put back in, and the list goes on.

I use to badmouth Goodman and Janitrol just like so many others until I sold my soul to the home warranty racket. They would either ship Goodman or Payne, we've had more problems on startup with Payne than Goodman as well as failures after a few months. We repair a lot of equipment that was installed by other companies for the warranty companies as well and usually if there is a problem it is because of a poor install. The condensers, both Goodman and Payne don't install a filter in their equipment so if you don't add one you don't have one. The ones I love is the compress is gone in a month and you have a air filter that hasn't been changed for 2 years, or a changed compressor where the technician installs a filter at the discharge from the compressor, yep you took out a muffler and installed a filter they are not designed to live there.

last note I usually try to upgrade people into Lennox and last year we seem to have had a bad run of control boards in their furnaces, you just can't win. Bottom line if it's installed right you shouldn't have a problem with either.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Don't mean to be snippish, but wonder...

...what do you base your statement on? AFAIK, Goodman now offers the longest warranties for builder-grade units. Furthermore, they appear profitable and they're growing market share.

When I looked into AC units for the DoE, I was struck by the low number of suppliers in the industry. How can you differentiate among units when the heart (i.e. the compressor) is predominantly made by one company? Coil designs are mirror images, controls usually offer the smallest degrees of difference.

What it comes down to me for is what's ticking on the inside. Like the "GE" water heaters sold at Home Depot (actually made by Rheem), marketing appears to be able to milk money from ill-informed or plain ignorant buyers. I couldn't care less about a name, on the other hand. I want the unit to work reliably, meet its thermal targets, etc.

Granted, goodman suffers from more hack installs because their equipment is priced lower than that of the competition. However, this would be the issue with any lowest cost producer/priced brand, regardless of brand name.

Anyway, what makes SEER-equivalent Comfortmaker more reliable than a Goodman? Cheers!
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Goodman

After 28 years servicing AC I speak from some experience. Goodman or Comfortmaker are not bad in AC. I would not have either one in a heat pump.Goodman and CM are about par. They are cheaper made but look at the price of them. Rheem, Ruud, Arcoaire,etc are slightly higher but are still not up to Lennox, Carrier, Trane,etc. although some of the major manufacturers have built some real junk too. American Standard, Frigidaire, Armstrong, Gibson are good units also. As long as you get top line compressors and components you will be OK.
  • pipefitter#51
    pipefitter#51 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Heil's

Curious as to your opinion of Heil's? Thats what my hvac contractor installed in my house.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I don't

install either, but not because they won't work. I service both of them and find the support from the distributer is marginal at best. I only put in Carrier/Bryant. They have multiple locations so you don't have to drive all over vreation to get parts. They have a network of tech support also in multiple locations. I have one saleperson who knows me and supports me even though I am a small contractor. With both Goodman and Comfortmaker there is only one location and just to get parts you have to wait on the phone forever and then drive out to a far and distant gallaxy to pick up the parts if they even have them. I havent put in an economy unit for over a decade, and its been a good choice. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    cm or goodman

i shy away from both but real far away from goodman maybe it's the large orange label that states there 250 dollar compressor change allowance as for payne there 12 seer stuff not that bad have quite a few out there over 10 years and haven't even burned out a fan motor and as foe rheem up until last year there 13 seer until was noticabley quiter then a 13 seer trane and less money and i don't need trane telling me to adjust the fan hight to quitewr the uit down aside from the plastic base on it needing to be shimmed.The other thing i dis like about carrier and trane is the lack of any factory installed safety the tech service at both say it is not need because of there massive research and development but they both have opitionally safety kits you can order rheem comes with them in closing it's not really the equiptment it's the install that makes the ulimate difference 14 seer stuff with there ramping fans only allow guys to further not use a ductalator because the fan ramps so the ducts don't bang it works great for the companies complaint department.The bottom line is they all use the same refregerant cycle it's all personal preference aws to what is better if installed properly they all perform good peace
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Remember this

Goodman outsources nearly all of their parts and under their procurement program the main criteria is low price. Not failure rate, not longevity, not quality. (This is what I was told by a forced air industry person who should know.)

Good for their bottom line and market share, probably not the best for you on a high demand January night.

I stick with American Standard and Carrier for product quality and service I receive from local distribution channels. Particularly, I have a lot of A/S parts that sit on the shelf gathering dust as unused inventory dollars.

As for A/C products, I don't think you can beat the Duration compressor installed in Am/Std and Trane. JMHO
  • Goodman VS Comfortmaker

Ive installed Amana and Ive installed Comfortmaker . I was a dealer for both . I dont install either now . What does that tell you . I install Bryant . The path of least resistance , Thats the direction I take . For a couple a $100.00 more get a good reliable furnace.
  • Lew
    Lew Member Posts: 21
    Options

pipefitter,

Heil is the same as Comfortmaker.
This discussion has been closed.