Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Hot Water Source

booksman
booksman Member Posts: 2
The other day I stumbled on a website for a company that manufactures an air source heat pump that they claim can be used with a radiant heat system. The company is called Aquaproducts and their website is www.aquaproducts.us. I've tried to find out more information from my local York dealer since they are using a York heat pump, but so far no one can really give me much information. I've read the brochure, but I'm curious if this would give me some real options in our all electric home. Comments?

Comments

• Barry_2
    Barry_2 Member Posts: 35
    Air-to-Liquid Heat Pumps

Air-to-liquid heat pumps use air as the heat source when operating in the heating mode to ultimately heat a liquid. In this case, the liquid would be the water that is being circulated through the radiant system. Air-to-liquid heat pumps are commonly found in the south (Florida, for example) for heating swimming pools and spas. Since there is an abundance of heat in Florida and, given the fact that these units are designed to operate during warmer months when people are using their pools and spas, they are an ideal alternative for this application. Depending on where you are located, the heat pump system you mentioned may or may not be the wisest choice for you.

Standard efficiency heat pump systems provide a temperature rise of approximately 25 degrees when the outdoor ambient temperature is approximately 50 degrees. If you have 70 degree water, for eample, you can expect the heat pump to increase the water to a temperature of 95 degrees, which may very well satisfy your radiant water needs. As the outdoor temperature drops, however, the temperature rise created by the heat pump is reduced. For example, at an otdoor temperture of 20 degrees, the temperature rise is only about 16 degrees. Your 70 degree water would then be heated to a temperature of only 85 degrees, which for most radiant systems, would be the return temperature, not the supply temperature.

If you are planning to use the York system, your best bet would be their premium line of heat pumps which can create a temperature rise of about 35 degrees at an outdoor temperature of 50 degrees and a temperature rise of about 25 degrees at an outdoor temperature of 20 degrees.

The bottom line is this... If you live in a geographic region that commonly experiences very cold temperatures (below 40 degrees) a heat pump system is not likely the best choice, especially if you are looking for a system that will operate efficeintly (and who isn't). If you live in the south, you are probably good to go. However, if you live in Michigan, explore other alternatives.

I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.