Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Install

Options
Ok, My first time here so be gentle.
First of all, I am a pretty competent do-itiyourselfer. I have a 25 year old split foyer home. It has baseboard electric heat that I supplement with a wood burning stove. A split foyer for those who dont know is the type of home that the front door opens on a landing with steps up to the main floor or down to the gameroom garage level. The man who built the house was a plasterer by trade, the whole house has finished walls and ceilings. I have had contractors come out and tell me a forced air system could not be installed because of no access to the space between the floor joists, and low ceiling height in the game room.
I would love to install a hot water system with baseboard heater but I have some concerns. I may be able to run copper pipes between the joists but am concerned because I would be running these blind, there will be electrical wiring and fiberglass insulation in there. Would 180 degree water in a copper pipe harm either of these? Could I use PEX tubing instead, would this be a better choice? How about running lines on the surface of the ceiling/walls and using a cover of some type?
Most HVAC contractors around here dont do alot of hot water heat, and especially not in any type of plastic pipe.
How about boiler recomendations? I have electric and propane. Should I also do my domestic hot water with the same boiler? Am I kidding myself thinking I can do most of this?

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    look for a clear path.

up to the floor above through a small closet or partition wall. wrap and return on the base board use he pex o barrier to get through partition walls to the next room. get a boiler lock the two ideas together and the cost of heating your home the firsst season will more than convince you the worth of the project youve undertaken. i'd still suggest you get some on site help before doing that though.
  • Toearly
    Toearly Member Posts: 24
    Options

I have done quite a few of these conversions.
    The trick is to remove / fold back the carpeting on the upper level, I have always done this in the center on the house. Chances are it is a straight shot from end to end of the home. Remove the wood using a circular saw. Drill your joist as needed. Tube can be fished in the joist to go to and from the outside walls. You can insulate the tube as needed. Once the system is tested reinstall the flooring and have new padding installed under the carpet.

If you do it yourself. know when to stop and call a proffesional

David

> Ok, My first time here so be gentle. First of

> all, I am a pretty competent do-itiyourselfer. I

> have a 25 year old split foyer home. It has

> baseboard electric heat that I supplement with a

> wood burning stove. A split foyer for those who

> dont know is the type of home that the front door

> opens on a landing with steps up to the main

> floor or down to the gameroom garage level. The

> man who built the house was a plasterer by trade,

> the whole house has finished walls and ceilings.

> I have had contractors come out and tell me a

> forced air system could not be installed because

> of no access to the space between the floor

> joists, and low ceiling height in the game

> room. I would love to install a hot water system

> with baseboard heater but I have some concerns. I

> may be able to run copper pipes between the

> joists but am concerned because I would be

> running these blind, there will be electrical

> wiring and fiberglass insulation in there. Would

> 180 degree water in a copper pipe harm either of

> these? Could I use PEX tubing instead, would this

> be a better choice? How about running lines on

> the surface of the ceiling/walls and using a

> cover of some type? Most HVAC contractors around

> here dont do alot of hot water heat, and

> especially not in any type of plastic pipe. How

> about boiler recomendations? I have electric and

> propane. Should I also do my domestic hot water

> with the same boiler? Am I kidding myself

> thinking I can do most of this?

• Darin Cook
    Darin Cook Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Greg

It sounds like it might be easier for you to run the piping in your corners and box them in. Copper or pex-al-pex would be the better choice for high temp, not that pex will not work but you will have to support it much closer together. Doing the system piping work for yourself will save dollars for you. BUT, get a professional to figure out what you will need for baseboard and heating plant. Let the contractor do the installation of the boiler. This is for the safety of your family! A indirect water heater is a great way to make abundant and inexpensive hot water. Good luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.