Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gypcrete Problems?

Has anyone on here had bad luck with Gypcrete, specifically Gypcrete in radiant installations? We had a customer this afternoon call, claiming she had done research on the Internet and that it could flake, break apart, and ruin her nice tile floors, and she wanted assurance before she put it in. We hadn't heard of that before, but some quick research says that improperly mixed Gypcrete can do the things she's describing. Any words of wisdom from the Wallies on this subject?

Comments

• Nron_9
    Nron_9 Member Posts: 237
    temp

watch your floor temp and how fast you try to raise the heat in the floor use a proper radiant thermotat not the standard honeywell mercury bulb
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Gypsum concrete

Concrete that is not properly mixed will also turn to powder. It won't be a problem if it is done correctly. But then the radiant heat won't work either if it isn't desihned and installed correctly. My advise is to talk to your tile installer before the floor is poured. Make sure he is familiar with installing tile over gypsum concrete. A fracture membrane is a good idea if it is in the budget. This seperates the poured floor from the tile setting compound. It allows the floor to flex slightly without cracking the tile. It also helps to prevent any cracks in the underlayment from telescoping up through the tile or grout. For more info www.maxxon.com
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Gypecrete

I recomend the same people on all of our jobs, It is a good idea to find somone that does good work and refer them to your costomers.
    I get good pricing on the pours because I give them alot of business wich makes me more competitive on my jobs.
    Also then you can give refs with your work and the gypcrete company on the same job to make your costomers more at ease.

S Davis
    Apex Radiant Heating
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Go with it ladd...the force is with you:)

Get god gypcrete ,run low temps after a month wait for the stuff to cure , make sure you are rolling low heat water through the system,a staple up same advise,run it on low use a temp 1 or two degrees above room temp let it roll for a day. keep everything in moderation an the people will be positively Impressed :) dont try to hurry the job by pounding the slab with 195 degree water to 'help the cement dry' or any other assinine suggestions. tell them the manufacturer says stay off it with the heat for 28 days. makes Your life more bareable.sunday i rolled a gypcrete slab..low water temps,the guys anxious to move in however hes smart and Knows that to push the stuff until it does go south aint the idea.the carpet layers are working up stairs and its warm enough there without that slab rolling. downstairs it gets a wood floating floor its warm thats about it. the staple up is also rolling in another house 73 -72 going out 71- 72 in the rooms,71 70 comming back. i like it. someday soon ill put the controlls on it. right now the electricals a work of art.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Myth

Lightweight gypsum, poured properly, is ideal. We use the Hacker product (GypTech) made by USGypsum. Never had a problem. We're careful to specify the proper fracture-proof membrane for tile covering. The Gyp must be protected if exposed, prior to final floorcovering installation.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan Bright
    Alan Bright Member Posts: 17
    Gypcrete?...

been there done that. We have over a 1/2 million square feet of radiant floors down over 15 years. If you think Gypcrete is OK, find a applicator for LEVELROCK products!!!.
    Big AL

• Thanks for the help, guys! She had done a Google search and found only problems; hopefully, the two installers who are recommending using it and us can convince her that she should be okay.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    would putting down nylon mesh

under the tiles like the kind used to fix wall defects, eliminate the possibility of the problem the lady found on google?
  • im Ellia
    im Ellia Member Posts: 2
    gypcrete

Jason, just wanted to let you know I read all the post's. I am the contractor who is proposing the job to the customer you mentioned.Nufloor is the gypcrete installer and they do great work. We have used them many times with no problems.Of course we will make sure our end is done correctly. The customer also was interested in staple up which is not really a good choice for her structure because of engineered trusses.

Thanks
    Jim Ellia
    Efficient Heating & Cooling Inc.
This discussion has been closed.